My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Thirsting for SOMETHING...


Have you ever wanted something that you didn't have? Since this is Christmas, you might be thinking of that perfect present and hoping someone picked up on your subtle hints. How about other things you want...a better body, college education, a nicer car, bigger house, how about a family that doesn't fight all the time...


We all want things we don't have. The problem is...those THINGS don't fill the hole; if we do get them, we still find ourselves wanting more. The problem is we are searching for the wrong THINGS. We are parched...dry...empty and we long to be filled to the top...We are thirsty for something...something that we can't get through things here on earth.


John 4:14 says "whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." I have wanted that water...and I have asked for it and received it. I feel confident knowing that I DO have eternal life.


When I remember this promise from Jesus, I feel satisfied, quenched and full to the top! The problem comes when I let my frustrations overpower me and I forget and allow myself to feel that hole inside me to open up again. I don't understand myself! How can I possibly forget?????


This world we live in is a powerful thing...almost a drug that clouds our vision and judgement. We are given a taste of "the good life" through the tv shows and movies and books we read. We want what THEY have because it looks so good. We get frustrated with our lives because they aren't what we want them to be. We allow ourselves to get THIRSTY again!!! Perhaps that's the reason we should stay in constant communication with God and read His word daily...to keep ourselves quenched in HIS PROMISES and not the promises of the world.


Yes, I do these daily messages everyday, but yet I still allow myself to forget. I can't even imagine what my life would be like if I DIDN'T have God in my life every day!! No wonder there is so much sadness, drug and alcohol abuse in this world today! So many THIRSTY people!


Are you thirsty? Is there a hole in your life that you can't seem to fill with food, things or relationships? God is there, just waiting to give you a drink of that living water! It's a daily journey to the well...not a one time deal. We need water to survive on this earth, and we need that living water to survive every day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment