My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, March 28, 2011

Is it possible to start...yet again?


Today's memory verse:

"Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart." Proverbs 3:3


My First Place 4 Health group finished another 12 week session yesterday, and finished our Bible study book. We won't be starting another one for a couple of weeks. I have been wondering what I'm going to write about while we wait...This mother/daughter FP4H group has been struggling a bit. We don't have enough time on Sunday mornings to really get into the program as we should, and I think this we in this group will be reinventing ourselves in the weeks to come....trying to figure out how to continue holding each other accountable AND have a devotional supportive time as well.


Reinventing yourself...have you ever thought of doing that? Figuring out how to be YOU...only better? I think we get so wrapped up in the STUFF we have to do that we don't see that by being BUSY doing that STUFF, we miss out on who we really are, or...who God wants us to be.


I think of a story of two sisters, Martha and Mary. Martha is busily getting the house ready, cleaning, cooking, preparing for a meal for her guests. Mary is sitting by the feet of their guest, listening and visiting and enjoying. Martha is upset with Mary because she doesn't like the fact that it's her doing all the work while her sister seems perfectly happy to just sit and visit. Which sister are you?


I think I AM Martha, but I WANT to be Mary! I am concerned with doing things right, about timeliness, orderliness and appearances. I try to be all things to all people...if you need something, call on me. Well...while that is admireable, I think I get so busy doing all that stuff, I don't take time to enjoy anything as much as I could. I am learning to be more like Mary and do the right things instead of doing things right all the time. What will matter in the long run? I am learning to take TIME with people, enjoy those moments doing things I really like to do with people I really enjoy being with every now and then. I don't mean that I am selfish and do only things I enjoy. But finding and doing things that I am passionate about refreshes me and gives me more energy keep going. The key to doing this is learning WHICH things are the right things for me. There are only so many hours in the day...only so much of me to go around. I can't do all the things I want to do OR all the things I'm asked to do. I have to choose which things are the RIGHT things for me to do. HOW do I do that? THAT is a good question!!!! But I am finding that prayer is helping me be clearer about things. Surrendering to what God wants me to do...


How do I know what God wants me to do? I go to him in prayer...and then...well, it's hard to explain...things just sort of come into place, and I have a peace about what it is I need to do. This doesn't happen to me all the time...but it has happened, and therefore I do believe it is God leading me.


Are you wanting to reinvent yourself? God is a God of second chances and WANTS you to rediscover yourself and find out the joys He has in store for you as well! God's grace gives us the chance to go from busy Martha's to soul-filled Mary's. If I can learn to move away from plain busyness and toward fulfillment...so can you! Let's go on that journey together!

No comments:

Post a Comment