My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

No playing the fool for me today!

Today's Bible verse:
"It is to one's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel." -- Proverbs 20:3

I had to laugh...this is the verse I read just AFTER I turned off the TV this morning after being disgusted at a quarrel between Donald Trump and Bill Cosby. A commentator said that "The Donald" loves when someone challenges him and NEVER backs down from a fight. Well...from the verse above, we can get an idea of what God thinks of that kind of behavior.

Why is it that we are FASCINATED by celebrities that love to make fools of themselves by arguing, fighting, cursing and just plain being ignorant on national...global TV??? I mean how many times do I need to hear about the latest Charlie Sheen rant? I admit to talking about this stuff with friends and coworkers...and I admit to watching it on TV so I am part of the problem!

Then, an even bigger problem occurs...we think we can take this kind of behavior and make it work in our own lives. When we don't get our own way, we get angry and argue. I do this, especially with my daughter. Why do I think that arguing with her is the best solution? Well...I don't THINK when in that situation, which is the root of the problem. We are ruled by our emotions and our own selfish wants and we don't take time to THINK before we speak or act. It is easier just to yell and fight.

Yesterday I talked about how we get hung up on what's FAIR... we want what's fair at all costs...when it's best for us. If we don't think something is fair we are up in arms to fight for what is right. Now, there are times when fighting for what is fair and right is the RIGHT thing to do. Fighting injustice for those weaker and unable to fight for themselves is a noble and true thing to do. But when we are only concerned about how it is affecting us...what's in it for us...that's when fairness turns into selfishness. Honestly, this is a thin line, and one that I know I have crossed before.

How do we fight against our natural instinct to fight and argue? One way that I have found that works for me is to read, contemplate and meditate about such verses as the Proverbs one above. When I know how God thinks about things, it helps to guide my thinking. This practice also guides me to keep God in my life. He wants to be involved, not just on the sidelines waiting to be called into the game in times of struggle. I have learned that over the years.

I also find that God has a sense of humor, leading me to a verse that is so appropriate and often funny, like today! "The Donald" may be a billionaire and may very well run for president, but his argumentative ways make him a fool in my eyes and from the looks of Proverbs 20:3, it looks like God feels that way too! However, God loves Donald Trump too, and may have bigger lessons in store for him as well. God's plans are too complex for us to understand. 

 Every kingdom needs some fools for us to learn from, right? So if Donald Trump is a court jester...and a fool, then I'd better be careful and not act like him! No arguing for me today! ;-D

No comments:

Post a Comment