My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Haves, Have-nots and those of us in the middle...

"All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God's grace was so powerfully at work in them all that there were no needy persons among them." Acts 4:32-34

Is it possible to have this happen today? That a group of believers would be all in one heart and mind and share everything they had with each other and with those that came to them that none would be needy...is this REALLY possible? 

Where I work, I have an opportunity to see for myself many examples of the "haves" and "have-nots." They all seem to co-exist, but there is much distain between these sets of people and for the ones that fall somewhere in between. 

I think I fall into that "in between" group...but as list the things I have, I realize I am really in the "haves" group. I am not poor. I have plenty to eat and a nice house and all my basic needs are met and I do have many "luxuries" such as a cell phone, a computer, etc. There's not very much left after paying the bills, and I worry about money, but I am not hungry.  I am not rich, and have full bank accounts that enable me to travel or give more to charities like I would like to, but I have plenty to have an enjoyable life. But, I think I am part of the problem...I THINK I don't have enough, and I will let the "rich" people deal with helping the poor. I am just one paycheck away from the streets myself, right? What can I do to help the needy?

That's where the "one heart and mind" come into play. My perspective needs to change. I need to let God break my heart for the needy, who break his heart as well. I need to let God work in my heart and mind and place me with others who have also experienced God's work in their hearts and minds too. 

This happened with earliest church. The disciples witnessed Jesus healing the sick and feeding the hungry and taking care of the needy. The Holy Spirit came upon them and they also did these things in the name of Jesus. They gained more followers because people had been helped and wanted to be part of the works that were going on. More and more people saw the God THROUGH these people and wanted to experience God for themselves. Then THEY shared what they had in the name of Jesus and soon there were no needy among them because EVERYONE shared! It was a miracle!

I think this CAN happen today! Even in this selfish, greedy world where the chasm between the haves and have-nots seems so wide. But it's going to take each one of us to have our hearts broken for the needy around us enough to let go of some of our stuff. It's going to take those of us in the middle to realize we HAVE a lot more than we think we do and not leave the job for someone else. It's going to take us to really be believers who are of one heart and mind and work together to share what we have...to feed, clothe, shelter and educate those who have not...it's going to take a MIRACLE! 

It's a good thing I believe in a God of miracles!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Linda, there are more of us in the middle than on either end. We need to be the ones to help out, even though sometimes we feel like we are the ones they are taking from the most. I can do more to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words John. I agree. For too long, I have given the task of helping the poor to those who have more. I am realizing I have more than I will ever need...plenty to share and I see there are many ways I can help as well.

    ReplyDelete