My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, April 11, 2011

I don't to be a judging Jonah...

(I'm stealing today's Bible verse from my friend Brenda's Facebook post today...just what I needed this morning)
"but those who hope in the lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." -- Isaiah 40:31

I'm back in my sunporch this morning! Hooray! What a beautiful day yesterday was, and this morning is warm and breezy...the birds and my wind chimes are singing me a pleasing song as I sit out here enjoying my coffee and quiet time.

I have been contemplating Pastor Brian's sermon yesterday. For the last 3 weeks, we have been studying the story of Jonah. His story really does parallel our lives in so many ways...he decided to do his own thing and ran from God...that I have always understood. But I had really never thought about the rest of the story...after Jonah went to Nineveh. He became a judgmental follower of God. Hmmm....do we have any of those today? Could any of us fall into that category ourselves? Would we admit it if we were?

It's all about what's fair today isn't it? We only want what's fair. I know I have said that phrase so many times. It's not fair that some have a lot of money and some don't...it's not fair that bad man got out of prison early...it's not fair so many innocent people were killed in Japan...it's not fair someone took my sandwich from the staff refrigerator...the list goes on and on.

Then...we just LOVE to talk and complain about how unfair life is...how bad our politicians are...how we hate that gas prices are sky high and whose fault it all is...always someone else's of course.

I admit to saying many of these things myself. Many complain that Christians and other religious people are judgmental and rigid...you know...they are right we are. 

Pastor Brian taught us yesterday that after Jonah preached to Nineveh to repent and change their ways...they did and then God saved them and didn't destroy them as He said he would. Jonah became the judgmental God follower and was mad at God for not punishing these people for their wicked ways...he thought God was wrong...NOT FAIR!

God's ways...we don't understand them and we may not agree with them...but they are GOD'S WAYS! We don't have to understand them! God loves ALL HIS CREATIONS and doesn't want ANYONE to perish! Don't you think He is going to give ALL OF US as many chances as possible to repent and then forgive us when we do?

Those people of Nineveh were wicked...doing all sorts of bad things...sinning all over the place! That's why God sent Jonah there to warn them!

There are a lot of people in this world today doing all sorts of wicked things...sinning all over the place! Don't you think God is sending many different messengers to these people in many different forms to get them to repent and ask for forgiveness? God wants us ALL to be in heaven with him...even the people we hate!

So...let's stop talking bad about the president...about the governor...about the lady down the street who comes in at all hours of the night. Instead...be a beacon of God's light. Be kind to everyone...do not judge others by their actions or their appearance. Let's try helping to fix problems in our community, our state, our country and our world through getting off our butts and putting our time, talents and treasures toward HELPING PEOPLE! Be creative! Get involved!

Don't be a judging Jonah! God has a plan for this world and it's up to Him to judge and discipline those of His creation not following His ways. Why do we think we know better than God? Let's not worry about what is fair and what is not...after all...if we're really talking fair...we should all be sentenced to death because we ALL sin from time to time, right? I'm glad judging is God's job and not mine! I'm going to work at showing God's love in practical ways and stop trying to BE God in this world. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment