My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, April 8, 2011

I pray for wisdom...

Today's memory verse:
"So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?" 1 Kings 3:9

King Solomon could have had anything he wanted, because God was pleased with him. But as you see in the verse above, Solomon asked for wisdom...discernment. He let go of selfish desires and wanted to do right by the people he was leading in his kingdom.

I searched for verses about wisdom and discernment today because I have not been wise in some areas of my life in the past and am now aware and feeling the consequences. When a child gets caught doing something wrong, there is that moment of despair...maybe not remorse for the wrong-doing, but because he was caught. THEN, after a discussion with parents and after the punishment, the child understands what he did was wrong and possibly understands why there are consequences for his actions. This time, I am that child.

Financial wisdom is a hard thing to come by these days, and not many people in our culture are using it. Even if you are not spending on frivolous things, just spending to get through each day, it costs a lot! Then add in all the times you eat out, go to the movies, buy a new purse, go on trips, over do at Christmas...not to mention the cost of your house, the price tag on that student loan...it is very easy to get wrapped up in debt these days and even easier to bury your head in the sand and not pay attention to what is going on.

Now, please don't worry, my family is not destitute and our situation is not dire...but it is serious. We have had to really take a look at our finances and try to figure out how to fix things.

We tell kids in our KidsPraise program that the Bible is like a light to shine on the right path, and like a mirror because it shows you what you need to change, and like a sword as it gives you the tools to fight in the hard situations in your life. I sometimes wonder if I have truly believed and relied on that fact...actually, no, I don't think I have. I have taken the bible...God's communication tool to us, his instruction book, for granted.

When I look for verses about financial planning and managing money, I find MANY and they truly do translate to today's world! When I look for verses about wisdom, again there are MANY! God wants to help us figure things out!

So, as I look for ways to help my family get on firm financial standing again (have we EVER had real financial stability????) I need to turn to God...surrender my selfish wants and desires and be willing to work hard and sacrifice. I pray for wisdom, as Solomon did, I pray for discernment so I can make wiser choices, I pray that God will give me diligence so I get rid of lazy habits and work hard toward getting out of this financial hole. I pray that my husband and my daughter learn to look to God in this area as well, and that we work together as a family in God's grace.

It is all very scary, giving up things you are used to, like 200 some useless cable channels and lunch out with the girls all the time...it is scary to think that I might not be able to make this work and with the costs if things going up and up, it still could get worse. These worries keep me up at night and make my stomach hurt. But, these are the consequences of our actions...God will be there to support us, He has ALWAYS BEEN THERE! I thank God for the many blessings he has given me, even if I haven't managed them well. I thank God for supportive friends who pray with me and give me advice and love...I know things will work out. I just won't bury my head any longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment