My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, July 12, 2012

I want to shine and bring out the God-colors of the world!


"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing our the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand - shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to be open with God, this generous Father in heaven." -- Matthew 5:14-16 (Message Translation)

My friends, it's been a while since I last wrote on my blog. Power outages and LIFE gets in the way and messes up my routines and then it hard to get back into the habit. But, I know that I NEED this "God time"! One of my goals right now is to get back into the habit of waking up, reading the Bible and writing about what I read. In the past I have seen this routine help me throughout the day. The Bible verse sticks with me as I do my daily "stuff" and it is easier for me to be "like Jesus" at work and at home. I have missed this quiet, contemplative time!

Today's verse speaks about this just perfectly! I want to be LIGHT in the world I live in! I want to SHINE with God's love to people I meet! I don't want to hide that light under a bucket and let the events and challenges that come my way dictate my mood and attitude toward life. NO! I want to meet those challenges with the light of Christ shining through ever fiber of my being!

Wow! that last sentence sounded a little trite, didn't it? But, that's the way I want to be! Yesterday there were several things that happened in my life that instantly put me in a complaining, grumpy mood. I got mad at the circumstances, frustrated by the fact that it felt like taking 10 steps back from where we need to be. I talked with a friend about these circumstances last night and just griped and grumbled and complained...I became part of the problem instead part of the solution and I most definitely did NOT let God's light shine. That bucket was sitting right on top of me, hiding that light that lives inside of me. I let the situation have the power instead of letting God have the power. I can't control the situation, but I CAN control the way I handle the situation!

Look at that verse from Matthew 5 again. God MADE me a light! He put me on a lamp stand to be seen! I am to bring out the God-colors in the world. I LOVE that line - bring out the God-colors of the world. God made the colors, and HE can make the colors seen HIMSELF...but he CHOSE to put those who believe in him on stands so his light could shine through us and make the colors of the world more brilliant and beautiful. Even though he CHOSE to put us on a stand, it is up to us how bright we shine!

So, what does that mean for me today? Today is all I can control...so TODAY I will stop my griping and complaining. I may still have those grumpy thoughts in my head, and that is fine, but letting them spill out of my mouth is NOT helpful. Do I have to agree with the situation that made me grumpy and jump on the bandwagon of those causing the situation? No! But, just the simple act of closing my mouth will help. That will be very hard for me, so I pray that God gives me the strength and wisdom to do that so his light can shine through me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment