My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Peace Wreckers


This week's memory verse:

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."-- Philippians 4:7

Do you wreck your own peace? Do you let others wreck your peace? I know in my case, I can be my own worst enemy. In my need to make others happy, sometimes I forgo my own happiness. My mind also has a way of OVERthinking many situations, especially health issues or conflicts, making them so much worse in my mind then the real outcomes would ever be. The things I am afraid of seem so much bigger to me when in the middle of a tense situation. Guilt can also be a peace wrecker. When I eat the wrong things...don't get enough exercise...my guilt and shame in not being able to stick with the program steals my joy as well.

With Tom's accident, many of my fears were looming in front of me. I had so many people praying for me and with me, it was easier to remember God was with me, and that I would be ok and so would Tom.

But what happens when it is just me and my fears and worries threaten to steal my joy and wreck my peace? It is natural to be afraid...But how can we let our faith and trust in a loving and protecting God provide peace in rough situations?

Last night, I was driving in freezing rain and ice on roads I wasn't sure of...I am always afraid when driving on bad roads, but last night all I could see in my mind was Tom's car spinning around and slamming into the trees. That fear was all I could think of... I had a mini-panic attack that all but paralyzed me. I HAD to get home...I just wanted to be safe at home wrapped in my warm blanket. I said many prayers while driving, but I was overcome with fear. (My daughter was the one reminding me God was protecting us and He would get us home)

When we did get home, I was a wreck, and Tom was very angry at me, for various reasons, but mostly because he was worried about us. He yelled at me and I became SO ANGRY! I went to my room and slammed the door and spent my whole night in tears...letting fear and anger steal the peace from my peaceful-night's sleep.

Today's Bible study was exactly what I needed to remind me that I let my emotions steal my peace. There are several verses that teach us how to deal with "peace wreckers."

Isaiah 26:3 - we need to be steadfast...keep your mind on God. Trust in God.

Isaiah 48:18 - if we obey God's commands He will give us peace

Psalm 3:8 - deliverance from our fears come from God

Psalm 23:4 - one of our biggest fears is death...God is with us always and will protect us, even when we are dealing with death

When peace wreckers come our way, remembering that Jesus is walking beside us...learning to trust God's promises of protection and peace will help us to overcome those peace wreckers.

Yes, peace wreckers have been slamming me lately...and yes, fear and worry have worked to overcome and overwhelm me. But...I have stayed in communication with God and read in his word about his promises. My peace wreckers are short-lived and even though I don't understand it...God's peace comes to me again and I can go on another day. It's all we can do.

I pray that when peace wreckers come your way, you will also turn to God for comfort and reassurance. He is with you and will always be there to protect you. May peace shine through in your life, even in the most difficult times.

No comments:

Post a Comment