My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What faith can do


This week's memory verse:

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."


I'm struggling with what to write today...not because I have nothing to write about, but because I have SO MUCH to write about! I have been so blessed to have several experiences lately that have rocked my world...experiences that have shown me a glimpse of what faith can do in the world...in my world. I want to share the feelings that are inside me with everyone I meet, but I know that many people aren't ready to hear it from me.

My faith in God, a living, loving, caring God...who is present even though we can't see him...has led me to step out and study the Bible every day because I want to know God better. I know I am not meant to understand everything, but I no longer want to use that as an excuse to do my own thing. Today I am reminded of many people in the Old Testament who stepped out in faith. A friend of mine said last night that it's important to read the Old Testament so we learn more of who God is...and more about the people who God built this world for and around and how God related to those people. They lived many years before Jesus, and thousands of years before us, but they built the foundation of our faith. God placed them there FIRST so we could learn from their mistakes AND from their faith.

Read Hebrews 11 for yourself to understand how faith in God can do BIG things...the author of Hebrews reminds us of Old Testament people (many of whom we have learned about since we were children) who out of faith did what they needed to do.Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses' parents, and even a prostitute named Rahab.

Verse 13 makes a very important statement that we really need to understand. All of these people were living by faith...(that means relying on their faith in God, trusting Him, and following His instructions)...when they died. They were "walking the talk." BUT...the verse goes on to say they didn't RECEIVE what was promised BEFORE they died. They lived like they should, but didn't live to see the fruits of their faith and labors. Abraham didn't live to see his ancestors number like stars and be a great nation. Moses didn't live in the promised land he led the Israelites to.

Verse 13 concludes by saying that these Old Testament "heroes" realized they were foreigners in this land...looking for their true home.Carrie Underwood has a new song out, "My Temporary Home".

"This is my temporary home

It's not where I belong

Windows and rooms I'm just passing through

This is was just a stop on the way to where I'm goin'

I'm not afraid because I know

This was just my temporary home."

When we realize, believe and have faith in what God promised...that Jesus made a place for us and we will be rewarded in heaven for our faith and what that faith helps us to do in this life...we can let go of our fears and our worries, our disappointments and discouragements...this life is just temporary. We are foreigners in a strange land. Soon we will be in heaven and be filled with joy and love...the reward for our faith in this life.

My only sorrow right now is the fact that many that I love and care about in this life aren't ready to hear...are not ready to share in this joy that is filling my heart right now BECAUSE of this faith that is bubbling up inside me.

Where is your faith today? Can you rely on it during the cold, icy, blizzardy places in your life? What BIG things will your faith help you to do? What little things can you do that might be a BIG thing to someone else? I pray that you learn from the examples in the Bible of those who stepped out in faith...that you gain your own confidence in your faith to step out and go boldly wherever God leads you!

No comments:

Post a Comment