My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, March 25, 2011

Blessed by a Heart for Worship...


This week's memory verse:

"So I say, live by the spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature." Galatians 5:16


I did today's Bible study and it was all about how Jesus is our best example of self control. Look to Mark 14:53-65 and Mark 15:1-5 for examples of how Jesus kept his cool in VERY trying and stressful situations...


But...I must tell you that my mind wasn't in the lesson today. I kept thinking about how lucky and blessed I am...how lucky I am to know Jesus and find myself open to reading a Bible study and getting something out of it...how lucky I am to have experiences like I had last night.


I was tired...really didn't feel like going to choir practice after a long day of work...but we have performances coming up soon and I know how important it is to show up. It was a good practice, but I was exhausted afterward. I sing in a woman's ensemble called "Hearts for Worship." There are 9 of us in the group and we all decided to buy beautiful necklaces (made by a very talented woman in our church) that have a cross in the middle of a heart..."hearts for worship." We were all excited about getting them last night, and we were passing them out after practice. Someone jokingly said we should get them all out and pray over them...and we did. One of the girls prayed a BEAUTIFUL prayer that was not as much a blessing for the jewelry as it was a blessing for each of us. We were all together...we had just been giggling and laughing and that prayer and time with those special ladies was just precious to me!


Forgive me for sharing such a long story...but I walked out of there feeling lighter, happy and not nearly as tired as when I walked in! How lucky I am to have had that experience! Just a blip of time...but such a blessing to me! I feel a bit sorry for those people in the world who do not open themselves up to God and the gifts he gives us, such as precious moments of prayer with dear friends! I will wear that necklace and remember that moment each time!


Some lyrics to a song we are singing come to mind...I come and am accepted...just as I am...


I come broken to be mended.

I come wounded to be healed.

I come desperate to be rescued.

I come empty to be filled.

I come guilty to be pardoned

By the blood of Christ the lamb.

And I'm welcomed with open arms

Praise God, just as I am!


Do I have these experiences because of my faith, or would I have happy experiences anyway? I really don't know the answer...but my heart says that because I believe and have given my heart and my life to Christ, God blesses me so I can be a blessing to others! This can happen for you too...reach out to Him...he'll take you just as you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment