My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, March 31, 2011

What are you passionate about?


Today's memory verse:
"You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit." 1 Thessalonians 1:6

Yesterday I talked about how to work toward living a more passionate life, which enables us to live more positively, empowers us to get through difficult times and enables us to live with more joy in our lives.

But how do we get there? I read a book a few years ago that suggested some "passion exercises." Now, before you go there, it has nothing to do with the opposite sex! LOL This is about learning and developing what YOU are passionate about. I thought I might share some of these suggestions with you so you too can discover more passion and joy your life. We think we know ourselves so well...but I think all the demands life throws at us keeps us from realizing what will really fulfill us.

First of all, make a list of things you really love to do, things that bring you a sense of deep inner joy. Maybe it's a talent you have, maybe it's organizing stuff, perhaps it's gardening, cooking or reading, or maybe it's going to the beach or taking a walk...the possibilities are endless...it's up to you. Try to think of at least 3 things.

Now, this is where your imagination comes into play. Pick one of your "love to do's" and IMAGINE yourself doing it. Imagine that someone was watching you doing whatever it is...what would they see? What expression would be on your face? What would that person say about you as you participated in that activity?

Now think about how you would be feeling as you do this "love to do" activity. What about this activity gives you such joy?

God gives us talents and likes and dislikes for a reason. If we all liked the same things, it would be pretty boring and some things would never get done! I believe God wants us to do things that bring us joy...but he doesn't tell us what to do. You have to FIND those things and DO those things.

I love to sing! I always have. When I am in my car (when I'm not listening to a book...which also brings me joy!) singing along with the radio or a CD just makes me happy! When I am singing on stage, I love to connect with the audience and share part of myself with them through the words of the song and through my emotions that come through in the song. I have been told that the expressions on my face show as I sing and you can tell how much I love doing it. Internally, I feel fulfilled when I do a good job because I worked hard at learning and practicing the song I sang. I also love when I have moved someone through my song. So...I have found something that I am good at, and that I enjoy doing...so I keep doing it! That puts passion in my life and makes me excited about new opportunities! And I will always sing as I am doing the dishes or cleaning...it makes those tasks easier to do!

What do you enjoy doing that brings passion into your life? Find something and make time to DO IT! God will find a way to bless you through that activity! Then you will also find a way to bless others through it...even if it's just that you are happier and in a better mood with your family, friends and coworkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment