My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A morning prayer...

Today's memory verse:
"Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the lord, and who meditates on his law day and night." Psalm 1:1

What an interesting juxaposition this morning....I was lying in bed (got to sleep in bit) listening to the news. Wars and tragedy all over the world...so many things to worry about today...but then I looked out my bedroom window at the beautiful sunrise. The big tree in my front yard just a shadow against the brilliant pink, gold, orange, blue and purple sky. The distressing news against the majesty of the rising sun.

I turned off the news and stared out my window. As light became brighter and filled my room, I am reminded that there is something more powerful than all the militaries in the world....God brings that sunrise every morning...without fail. Some mornings are more brilliant than others, and sometimes the clouds are so heavy you don't see the colors and the sun at all...but they are still there.

Lately, it seems every day brings me more issues to deal with that leave me feeling small, weak, stupid and inadequate. I can't seem to solve all the problems facing me...there are so many issues, mostly small, that cloud my mind, tire my body and weaken my spirit. There are times every day when I wish for a chair in the sand with a big umbrella and a good book, listening to the waves and feeling the breeze on my cheek. I want to run away from the bills, the tasks, the problems, the issues, the news...how can i keep up with it all?

But then I see a brilliant sunrise, get a call from a friend, or I pick up my Bible and I am reminded that it will be ok. The world has always had tragedies...I will always have bills to pay...even if I lost everything tomorrow...the sun will still come up tomorrow...There is a God who IS in control even when I can't see it. While I can't close my eyes to my troubles or the troubles of the world, I also can't let myself get so wrapped up in them that I miss the beauty of the world AND the promises of my God for a future with no more tears and no more tragedy.

Dear God,
Thank you for this time of rest this morning and for the beautiful sunrise that you allowed me to see from my comfortable bed. Help me to hold on to my blessings and not get swallowed up by my sorrows. I'm sure there are others out there today with worries and troubles of their own. Help them reach out to you and hold on to their own blessings as well. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment