My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Look for the exit signs...

This week's memory verse:
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -- 2 Corinthians 12:9

Since we are talking about weaknesses this week...one of mine is being able to see the faults and failings of others quicker than I see my own. I think many of us have that same weakness. Sometimes I get very frustrated with others... 

For example, read Matthew 26:41. I have always been frustrated with the disciples in this story because Jesus asks them to do TWO things...watch and pray and what do they ALL do? Fall asleep!

I mean, come on. Jesus told them during their meal that something big was happening...he told them one of them would betray him...he was preparing them. And when they went to the garden to pray, could they not SEE how troubled he was? I would think they would try hard to do what the master asked of them on such a night.

I am just full of judgement, huh? But, if I were in the same situation...would I fall asleep too? 

Although you can tell Jesus is frustrated with them for falling asleep, he knows their weaknesses. That is why he asked them to pray that they would not fall into temptation...the spirit is willing but the body is weak.

Temptation is everywhere and we are weak against it. That is why alcohol, drugs, food, tv, sex....any kind of addiction is such an issue for us. 

1 Corinthians 10:13 - No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Jesus understands us...and our weaknesses. He will provide a way out for us in every tempting situation...we just have to TAKE IT.

It's not enough to not WANT to do something; we have to decide that we WILL DO SOMETHING ELSE...we have to replace a negative behavior with a positive one.

I want you to think of 3 of your greatest temptations or challenges...it could be people, places or situations that get you most easily into trouble. PRAYERFULLY consider (that means don't think you can do this alone...rely on God's help) the best strategy to help you avoid these tempting things and replace them with a better choice. 

Plan...think ahead...open your eyes to the exit signs that God puts in your path so you can find the way out when you are tempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment