My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, June 3, 2011

Shut up and be humble enough to give up some control

 This week's memory verse:
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

For the last two years, I have been writing these messages nearly every day. I am learning so much and sometimes get so filled with God's spirit, I feel I could burst with joy! I love doing what I am doing and love how it has drawn me closer to God...but...is it going to my head instead of my heart? Am I getting too big for my britches? Am I REALLY learning the lessons AND putting them into action? Sometimes it is good for a little reflection on how we are doing in our walk with God.

As I put that mirror up to my face and really look at who I am...I think that most of the time, my actions and heart match the words coming out of my mouth. However, as I replay events in my mind, I see some times when am NOT acting the way I would want or that God would want. 

So, instead of wallowing in it...I want to look at those mistakes and learn from them and try to do better. As I have written in this blog before...most of those mistakes happen with my daughter. I love my daughter SO MUCH and I think I want to teach her things...she is the one person who in some ways is under my control. I think THAT is the key!!!

I think I get a distorted view of my responsibility as a parent...yes, I am to teach her how to live in the world and take care of her...but sometimes I think I take advantage of that power I have over her and try too hard.

I wrote a few weeks ago about teenagers and how they are SUPPOSED to feel the need to be different from their parents...it is how they learn to grow into their own person. But, when you are in the middle of it...you forget.

So, if I am putting the God lessons I am learning to use in my own life, I need to rely on Him more and pray that I make wise choices with my daughter and THINK about what I say to her BEFORE I say it! That's what I tell her to do...shouldn't I be doing it too?

The bottom line for me...I need to SHUT UP, listen more, be merciful instead of holding that power over her head, and be humble enough to give up some of that control...let go and let God! It is a good thing God loves me too much to leave me the way that I am! I am thankful for the grace he gives me and for the lessons he teaches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment