My sun porch

My sun porch

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Do you struggle with "Not Enough" syndrome?

This week's memory verse:
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8

Do you ever think that you are your own worst enemy? We beat ourselves up, we worry, we fret...we just can't seem to FULLY trust that God will save us from the evil around us, or from ourselves.

I study God's word every day...in the last 2 years, I have been committed to that task. At first it was just that...a task that I had to write on my "to do" list and check it off when it was done. Now, it has become a habit...a good habit that begins my day in a positive manner. So...after all this study and prayer each day...why am I STILL struggling with doubts??? Doubting myself, and yes, sometimes doubting that God is listening. I think I am struggling with the "Not enough" syndrome.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says that when we commit ourselves to serve God whole-heartedly, He will make our paths straight. Ok...my paths still have a lot of twists and turns...I must not be committed ENOUGH.

Psalm 1:1-2 says that there are things God wants me to do...

When I step out in faith... He keeps me from stumbling. (I still stumble...I must not be faithful ENOUGH)

When I call out to God...He answers me. (I don't hear his answer...I must not call out to him ENOUGH)

When I pray...He hears me. (I probably don't pray right, or...ENOUGH)

When I take refuge in him...he saves me and hides me. (I don't feel very safe right now...I must not be good ENOUGH)

I know that these feelings of not being ENOUGH are my own self-destructive feelings. I KNOW that they do not come from God...His word is full of promises...when I focus on his promises...I can overcome these self-destructive "not enough" feelings.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 is one of my favorite promises..." For I know the plans I have for you," declares the lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

The only thing I know to do is to turn these "not enough" feelings over to God. HE LOVES ME TOO MUCH to let me continue to feel like I'm not enough for him. When I feel like what I am doing each day is not enough...I just need to cry out to my Father who loves me and ask that he replace these feelings with gratitude and faith. 

Psalm 37:23-24 says "The lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the lord upholds him with his hand."

If I imagined God talking right to me today...I think he might say:

"Linda, I delight in your loving and kind nature and in the way you always want to be more. I want to uphold you when you feel discouraged and afraid. I want you to know I love you just the way you are...you are JUST ENOUGH for me."

Just that thought comforts me and makes me feel better this morning. Can you imagine God delighting in you and upholding you during your moments of doubt and fear? Reach out to him..He loves you and you are JUST ENOUGH for him too!

No comments:

Post a Comment