My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, September 1, 2011

God helps with everyday feelings of discouragement...

Today's memory verse:
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

Do you want to know how I know that God is with me wherever I go? Because I have felt him...or his presence...or I have felt his message...I know it sounds pretty far fetched, but it has happened too many times for me to ignore.

Take this morning for example. I am feeling pretty discouraged this morning. I had a really good day at work yesterday and came home feeling pretty good about myself, only to walk in the door to a pile of bills I can't pay until next Friday, a grouchy daughter with a cold who argues with every word I say and all I smell is a rabbit pen and and cat boxes that need cleaned out. Needless to say, the good feelings from my day quickly were replaced by feelings of "I can't win!" 

And, unfortunately, those feelings were still there when I got up this morning. I needed some encouragement and reassurance...so I went to my bible to look up my favorite verse (the one above) but for some reason looked up James 1:9 instead. It said, "Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. (James 1:9 NIV) Well, I am certainly in humble circumstances...I need to be reminded that I am STILL a child of God. I went on to read a little farther..." Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. (James 1:12 NIV)

It was no accident that I looked up the wrong verse. It may look like that to most, but I know it was God's way of sending encouragement to me when I needed it. This too shall pass...these "trials" that I am dealing with that are ruining my mood...they are nothing!  Why let it mess up my mood? 

So, I sent my daughter a text that I loved her and I wrote this message to you. Perhaps God might use this message to encourage you today! Be strong! Don't be discouraged! God is with you everywhere you go...all the time...he knows you and knows what you need, even better than you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment