My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's what gets me through the day...

Today's memory verse:
"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." -- Romans 5:5

What gets you through each day? I mean, really, what makes you get up each morning and go to work or school or up to work from home? There has to be some kind of motivation, or it would just be too tempting to roll back over and go back to sleep. 

For many of us, it's the job thing. Some of us have the school thing. So, I know there are things that you HAVE to do, but do you JUST make it through the week and live for the weekends? Do you HOPE in better things to come? What do you live for?

Today, my Bible study was packed FULL of verses about God's gifts and our hope. Even if you have God in your life and Jesus in your heart, have you wondered if Jesus would be enough for you? What if, like Job, everything you had was taken away...would your faith and hope be enough to live for? It seems almost sacrilegious to ask that question, but I bet we have all wondered the same thing.

When we see natural disasters on tv, we think to ourselves, I'm sorry for them, I really am, but I'm glad it's not me. I don't think I could live through that.

"The Lord is all I need. He takes care of me." Psalm 16:5

I believe that in my heart. I do. But my mind still wonders if I would be able to make it if I lost everything. Heck, I felt cheated and alone when I had to spend last Saturday night alone! But, my life experience has taught me that God HAS been with me during the rough times. 

How do I now know that if a Job-like event happened in my life, I would still hold fast to my faith and hope in God? Because I BELIEVE in what it says in Titus 1:2...I have hope in eternal life, life without end with God. God promised this and God doesn't lie or break promises.

My life on earth may not turn out the way I want it to...I may lose everything I have been given, but when my time on this earth is over, I believe that I will be in heaven with God forever!

There are still so many questions I have...I was raised a Christian, so it is easy for be to believe these Christian promises. But, I have met many others of different faiths, and while I respect their right to believe what they want, I have problems answering their question as to why I believe that my way (through Christ) is the only way to that promise of heaven. They have been raised in a whole different culture and belief system...how does God view them?

Yes, that (and many others!) is a question that I have, but it really doesn't take away from my own personal hope...the thing that gets me out of bed...the thing that makes it possible for me to endure things I don't like...the thing that doesn't disappoint me...my hope in God's promises!

Colossians 1:27 (Message) spells it out so well- "God wanted everyone, not just Jews, to know this rich and glorious secret inside and out, regardless of their background, regardless of their religious standing- the mystery in a nutshell is just this: Christ is in you, therefore you can look forward to sharing God's glory. It is just that simple. That is the substance of our message."

If you want to feel good about God's promises, read the following verses for yourself...pull out your Bible...it will make your day brighter!
* 2 Corinthians 12:9
* Matthew 7:11
* Luke 12:32
* James 1:17
* Jeremiah 17:17
* Ephesians 1:18-19 (Who couldn't use endless energy and boundless strength!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment