My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Doesn't anyone want to be holy these days?

This week's memory verse:
"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." -- Psalm 27:13

What does it mean to be holy? When we hear that word today, we think of someone who is "holier than thou," and acts like they are better than everyone else. But I think God wants us ALL to be holy...his kind of holy. 

God has a different definition of the word. In God's eyes, holy means set apart for HIS purposes. God can make anything or anyone holy.

Read 1 Peter 1:14-16 
As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

Be holy in all you do....be holy because God is holy. Most of us interpret those statements as a command...we must BE holy. But, if instead of thinking of it like something that we HAVE TO DO...think of it as PROMISE. God will make you holy in all you do because he is God. 

That promise comforts me and reassures me. If I had to rely on my own efforts to be holy, I would fail miserably and give up trying. But, if I believe that God sets me apart for his own purposes...all I have to do is be open and let him work THROUGH me!

Micah 6:8 states there are 3 holy acts that the Lord requires of us:
* Act justly
* Love mercy
* Walk humbly with your God

Now wait a minute...I thought that God MAKES us holy, and now you're saying I have to live up to some standards and rules? I will fail! I'll never make it to holy!

In my heart, I believe if you do the 3rd one, the other two will be much easier. If you spend time with God every day...studying his word...talking with him...asking him for guidance...realizing that you CAN'T live this life without that guidance...THEN he will help you to make wiser decisions and live justly and love mercy. Staying closer to God will help you keep him in the front of your mind and allow you to be holy. 

It's not popular, or easy, to be holy in the world we live in. People who try to live right and follow God every day are looked upon as "goody two shoes" or as naive and stupid. God wants ALL his people...every person on the earth...to be holy. But, since he gave us the right to CHOOSE to be holy, he knows that not everyone WANTS to be set apart for his use. 

What do you want today? Believe in his promise. If you WANT to be holy and ask God for his help...he will declare you holy.  Then look out! God will start using in you in amazing ways that you never thought possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment