My sun porch

My sun porch

Saturday, August 27, 2011

He loves you forever...

This week's memory verse:
"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." -- Psalm 27:13

When I was taking my teaching classes in college, one of my favorite classes (this will NOT surprise you!) was Children's Literature. I love Children's books, both picture books and chapter books. There are stories that we relate to and touch our hearts and helps us grow. During that class, one of my all time favorite books was introduced to me. It may seem sappy and overly sentimental, but it is by Robert Munsch and is entitled "Love You Forever."

The book begins with a new mother rocking her newborn son and singing "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be." Through the story, the little boy grows up, and through those growing up stages, no matter the circumstances, the mommy replays this scene, rocking her son and singing those words...even to the point of driving across town and climbing up into her grown son's apartment. (At the time, I thought that part was a little creepy...but now that I have a nearly grown child, I can relate!) The story ends with the roles being reversed...the man rocks his mother and sings, "I love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my mommy you'll be." 

Awww...I know, right??? I'm tearing up just remembering those words! And, just last year, a friend of mine passed away and her son read that sweet book at her funeral. 

My point for sharing this with you was not to make you cry, but to remind you that God loves us THAT much and more!

Read Psalm 73:23-24

The Psalmist clings to the following truths in this life:
* I am always in God's presence.
* God holds me and takes my hand.
* God wisely and tenderly leads me.
* God blesses me.

Do those words comfort you as they comfort me? I long to be held and rocked and comforted, knowing that my God will love me forever, don't you? I don't have to long for it...I can have that comfort if I just reach out to him. Just reading those words in Psalms above was a good reminder...He is there for us! He knows what we need and when we need it. If you are open to him, he will be a presence in your life and you will feel his loving arms around you...He loves you forever, he likes you for always, long into eternity your Father he'll be!

No comments:

Post a Comment