My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, August 26, 2011

What are YOU hungry for?

This week's memory verse:
"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." -- Psalm 27:13

No, really...what do you HUNGER for? I'm not talking about your midnight hunger for chicken wings or chocolate ice cream. What do you long for...what are you starved for that you really want but just can seem to grasp on to? 

Mankind is driven by hunger. Our physical hunger is good to a point because it helps us keep our bodies fueled and fed. That physical hunger can be hurtful when it's misinterpreted. Sometimes...well, most of the time, it's our emotional hunger, what our heart and mind is starved for, that we mistake for physical hunger...which is why we are a nation or a culture of emotional eaters. Hence, a nation with an obesity problem.

Being aware of, and knowing how to successfully handle the emotional hunger, and not misinterpret it, is the key to our goal of a healthy, balanced life.

Jesus said: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. (Matthew 5:6 NIV)

That is actually just one of the MANY times that hunger and thirst is mentioned in the Bible. Through his word, God is trying to get us to see that he will satisfy our hunger and thirst...we just have to rely on HIM to do it and not try to fill those needs ourselves.

If I am being honest, I think I am starved for approval...I want people to like me...I want to know that the people around me approve of who I am and what I do. (That comes as no surprise to those who know me!) While this can be an admirable trait...it can also lead to destructive behavior and poor choices. And...when I worry about displeasing people...I feel even hungrier...and misinterpret that hunger for physical hunger. THEN is when I run to the nearest chocolate cake or take a drive to Steak and Shake for a peach milkshake!

The good thing is...in the past several years, I have learned to become more aware of this issue in my life. I can see when I start eating to fill that worried place in me. That doesn't mean that I can instantly stop myself from ordering that milkshake EVERY time I make a mistake at work or have a fight with my daughter...but I DO stop myself SOMETIMES! I am aware enough to notice it, label it for what it is, and have a conversation with myself to try to help myself make the wise choice. Doesn't always happen...which is why I have NOT met my weight goal as of yet...but it DOES happen more than it used to! Why? Because I have stayed more connected to God in the last 2 years!

I am finding that when I stop worrying about making everyone happy...and begin thinking about making God happy, I am more able to make better choices. And...I don't beat myself up as much when I make a poor decision...well...I'm still working on that!

I have been very honest with you about my hunger. Be honest with yourself...talk to God about what you hunger for. Maybe you don't reach for a peach milkshake, but I bet, if you really think about it, you will see what you do do reach for that is really a hunger for a relationship with your creator! Ask him to help you learn to hunger for him instead of whatever you THINK you are hungry for!

No comments:

Post a Comment