My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, August 25, 2011

YOU are a child of God!

This week's memory verse:
"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." -- Psalm 27:13

Do you ever try to put into words just WHO you are? It's hard because in one day, I can wear so many hats...I am mother, wife, librarian, friend, sister, daughter...at times I am a nurse, taxi driver, accountant, cook, storyteller, leader, follower, consumer..the list goes on and on. 

I have a friend who seems to KNOW when I am having a bad day, and she sends me a simple text that says "You are a daughter of the most high king." That reminder soothes me, comforts me and reminds me that it really doesn't matter what hat I am wearing at the time. It really doesn't matter how bad I am failing at whatever I am trying to do at that moment...I am a child of God. He loves me unconditionally!

Read Romans 8:14-18 for yourself.

People who are led by God's Spirit or people who open themselves up to be led by God's Spirit are called children of God. I say it that way because, really, we are ALL children of God. He created every living thing. But he leaves it up to us whether we accept being his children or not. 

When we are NOT open to that thought, we live in fear and we act like slaves to fear and to the world. The world and our culture wants to tell us how wrong we are, how ugly we are, how stupid we are, how we HAVE to behave like the rest of the world to be accepted. That is living in bondage...always afraid of what others will think of us. It is REALLY easy to get wrapped up in that way of thinking. 

But, if you open your mind and your heart to the idea that you are children of God, then you realize that means you are also heirs to God as well. Romans 8:17 says that heirs to God inherit two things:
1) Christ's sufferings
2) Christ's glory

Ok, that is a little deep. How am I, little human person that I am going to inherit Christ's sufferings and glory? Sounds pretty complicated doesn't it? It really isn't. It just reminds us that even if you are children of God...you are still going to suffer...life ain't easy, my friend! BUT, inheriting Christ's glory means that it all will be worth it in the end.

Romans 8:18 says that our sufferings are nothing compared to God's glory that will be revealed in you.

We need to believe that we belong to God...we are his children and he loves us. We need to believe that he loves EVERYTHING about us...our imperfect bodies, our bad attitudes, our mistakes as well as our successes and good qualities. When we remember that fact, and we KNOW there are going to be hard times and struggles in our lives, then it makes it SO MUCH EASIER to deal with those hard times and struggles. We may still cry and complain during them, but down deep, we know that our loving father is with us and we WILL inherit his glory one day and all those struggles will PALE in comparison.

A friend of mine said that my message yesterday was pretty religious. I hope never to offend anyone with my thoughts...I just try to share my feelings and my faith with others because they are what gets me through every single day. I don't think I could make it through even one day if I didn't believe I was the daughter of the most high king, and one day I will see him, and know that it was all worth it! If that makes me simple or silly to you, so be it! God loves you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment