My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, November 7, 2011

NTC day 57 - Trust me...

My memory verse this week:
"But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life." -- Jude 1:20-21

NTC Day 57 - 2 John 1; 3 John 1 and Jude 1

"Trust me." We've all heard these words before, and we've all had reasons not to trust. 

When it comes to the Bible, we are taught that this book is a collection of writings by men who were touched by God. God breathed life into these words, so that all the books are connected, and are His message to his people...to us. And, those of us who believe in God and believe that the Bible truly IS the word of God, we put our trust in those words. It is our connection to the unseen God. 

As we draw to the end of this New Testament Challenge, we come to the last books of the Bible. Today, reading 2nd and 3rd John and Jude, I struggled to understand their meanings, their messages for me. And tomorrow we will start reading Revelations, which has always caused me frustration because I struggle to understand exactly what God is trying to communicate to me through John's very symbolic and confusing words and images. While I struggle with this understanding, I continue to hold on to the TRUST I have in God and in his word. God gave us these books so we would better understand him...we just have to TRUST him.

Trust is a funny thing...we feel that trust has to be earned, right? We don't trust a stranger like we trust a long-time friend. When someone hurts us, or breaks a trust, it often takes a very long time to trust that person again. And in our lives with many different relationships with people, how we trust, or don't trust the people in our lives can affect our happiness. 

What I have come to realize just recently, the trust I have for those around me SHOULD NOT affect my own happiness or the way I deal with daily life as much as I let it.
People are human...they fail...they are bound to break our trust in one way or an other. Holding grudges and letting distrust worry us and really make us sick with worry, anger and hurt feelings will only hurt us further.

There is only one that I can really trust...one who won't fail me...one who will always be with me...one who won't let me down...one who is powerful enough to help me overcome my greatest disappointments....God. He whispered this to me just the other day. I was worried about a situation in my life. I was worried that someone I love would let me down yet again. I became sick with worry and cried and whined to God about my hurt feelings and worries. I heard that small voice inside my head that said, "Trust in ME. I will never let you down." I thought about it, and that small voice was right. God is the only one to put all my trust in.

So, when I am struggling to understand the complex messages in His Word, I will trust that even if I don't understand it all...one day I will. I will continue to  pray for understanding. I will continue to read God's word and let it wash me clean of my worries. My trust and my hope is in my Heavenly Father who is way bigger than any of my worries, fears or doubts!

No comments:

Post a Comment