My sun porch

My sun porch

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sing to the Lord!


"But I will sing of your strength in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble," -- Psalm 59:16

It's funny that today's verse talks about singing. I am up early on a Sunday morning, before I get ready to go to church and sing in the choir. It's 5:30 in the morning and as the sun begins to brighten the night sky, the birds are singing all around me. I love this time of day, because there is not much traffic on the road in front of my house to drown on out the beautiful symphony of birds. I had a brief thought that they were singing to me, welcoming me into this wonderful day...but I don't think it's me they are singing to...I believe they are singing to their creator, thanking and praising him for their lives, and for this world they live in.

My daughter shared with me a Youtube video that she heard at Youth Group last week where a pastor made a "mash-up" mix of the noises that scientists have discovered that some stars make along with the haunting songs of whales. It seemed a little far fetched to me at first...stars singing??? Stars paising God??? Whales singing praises to God??? But I have listened to it several times now and read the verses: "Praise him, sun and moon: praise him, all you shining stars." -- Psalm 148:3 and "Praise the Lord Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all ocean depths." Hmmmm...It makes you think! Check this video out for yourself! It's a 15 minute video, but make sure you listen all the way to the end...I bet it will make you have goose bumps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWKm-LZWm4

If birds, and stars and whales can sing praises to God...shouldn't it be even more important for me to praise God? But God doesn't NEED my praises because he has a symphony of his creation singing to him...creatures that don't have the "human mess" to cloud their thoughts...worry, fear, doubt, pride, vanity....WE have those things that make us think less of God.

But, our God knows how we are, he knows us because he created us. Our God is great! If we know that, if we believe that...

"The lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:6)

"Whenever I am afraid I will trust in you." (Psalm 56:3)

"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms."(Deuteronomy 33:27)

"This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast." (Hebrews 6:19)

I am going to sing praises to God today! Sing with me and the birds, stars and whales today! "How great is our God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment