My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fearfully and wonderfully made


"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14

I was talking with a friend yesterday. We were both complaining about the way we are...the fact that both of us are very emotional people, wearing our hearts on our sleeve. It seems that just by looking at me, a person can see what I am feeling. And, for whatever reason, in the last few years especially, I cry at just about everything. I like to think that I am a strong woman. My faith has seen me through many difficult situations in my life. However, I cry when I'm happy...I cry when I'm sad...I cry and get blotchy when I am angry. When I cry, I think it makes me look weak, and not the strong leader that I want to be. Crying over a Hallmark commercial is one thing, but crying over something at work that makes me angry...come on!

But, my friend told me yesterday that both of us should stop feeling bad about who we are...we should starting liking ourselves more. That is a hard thing to do, liking yourself...even the parts of yourself that make you mad. Then this morning I read the verse from Psalms above. God created me the way I am. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Perhaps there is a reason I was made this way. I am soft and tender-hearted for a reason. I easily empathize with people, making me easy to talk to.

Many people are made differently than me. They hold their emotions in and are harder to read. I'm sure there is a reason they are made that way too. When I try to hold things in, (and believe me, I have tried!) I end of making myself sick! That is not how I was made.

So, instead of complaining about how I am, I should learn to embrace ALL my characteristics. God made me and God doesn't make mistakes! His works are wonderful! He knew what he was doing when he made me weepy and sappy and soft-hearted. Maybe I need to learn to control the water-works more often, but I don't have to beat myself up for feeling the way I do.

I read something else this morning that made me stop and think. You were made by God and for God and until you understand that, life will never make sense.


If I can learn to trust God more and embrace my weepiness, how can you trust God more with the way you are? Is there something about yourself that you don't like? Remember that God made YOU and God doesn't make mistakes! Embrace who you are! Join me in thanking God for making us who we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment