My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Being Salty...


"I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live." -- Psalm 116:1-2

I love when I learn something new...even if it is just a little factoid or tidbit of knowledge. For example, I heard some teenagers talking on tv and one of them said something like "You must have felt pretty saltywhen she dumped you! I didn't know what he meant by that because my definition of salty didn't fit with what he said. So, I did some investigating. Apparently, the term "salty" has become a slang term for feeling stupid or getting "played." I had no idea! Being "salty" to me meant that something had a lot of salt on it. I also knew the term "salty dog" which is a mixed drink I believe, and there is a cafe in Hilton Head by that name.

Words can be so powerful...that's why I love them so much! One word can mean so many things, depending on the way you use it! So, I began thinking about the word "salty" and I also thought of how Jesus told us we are to be the "salt" of the earth.

"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be the "salt-seasoning" that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage." -- Matthew 5:13 The Message Translation

When you have a relationship with Jesus Christ and have had the experience of that relationship lifting you up and saving you from your dispair, you KNOW where you are going and you have the responsibility not to keep it to yourself, but to tell people your story and share God's amazing love with others. Jesus explains that you are to be "salty" so people can see the "flavorful" life they too can have!

What does it mean to be "salty?" I picture myself as a salt shaker...everywhere I go, I like to shake a little salt. Everywhere I go, everything I do should have a little God in it...showing love to others in everything I do...even the hard stuff. By looking at me and seeing how I treat others and how I live every day of my life, people should see me living what I believe...practicing what I preach, so to speak. I don't have to go around preaching to people or quoting Bible verses all the time. I just have to live the life that Jesus leads to me to live. No, I won't get it right all the time, and I will make mistakes...But forgiving myself and forgiving others each and every day will go a long way in showing God's love to the world. Maybe those around me will get tired of their bland and tasteless life and want some salt of their own.

I know God hears my voice and hears my cries for help. I know God hears my songs of joy. I WILL call on him as long as I live. AND...I will share that fact with whoever wants to listen...shaking God's love all over the place! I pray that today I will be a "salty dog" and be full of the flavor of God's love! May you be "salty" today too!

No comments:

Post a Comment