My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Stay on the firm sand and enjoy the ride!


"The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace." Psalm 29:11

I love how God works. I read my devotional book early this morning, and as my daughter and I were doing our morning walk, I tried to think about what I wanted to write about today. Nothing was really coming to me. Sometimes the ideas flow freely and sometimes I get stuck. When I got home from my walk, I turned to my Bible app on my phone and looked at a devotional that I had been neglecting. It spoke to me and inspired me.

This morning I am imagining that I have a dune buggy...a new dune buggy that I am just dying to take to the beach. I don't live anywhere near the beach, so I am picturing myself in my dune buggy on a beach on Ocean Isle, North Carolina...a place my family used to vacation to several years ago. Ok...so I unload my dune buggy and start 'er up...while in the loose sand near the road, it has a hard time moving. The deep, loose sand bogs down the tires and I go nowhere. So, I get out and push my vehicle on toward the water...the wet, packed down sand is firmer and my dune buggy tires can gain some traction and it takes off! My ride along the shoreline is amazing with the sea breeze blowing through my hair! What fun!

When we know God and look to him, we become his people. He blesses us with FAITH. Over time, when you go to God again and again, seeing how his love for you is strong, feeling the grace that comes from knowing his son Jesus, your faith becomes firm and strong. It is easier to go through life...the good times and bad...standing on that firm foundation of faith...trusting in God. When you don't trust God...when you don't know him well, don't realize the gift of grace through Jesus, you don't have that strength that God gives the people who trust him...his people. He still loves you and WANTS to give freely to you, but he will only give what you are willing to receive. When this is the case, it is much easier to get bogged down in the loose sand of life...every situation binds up your tires and makes it impossible to move forward....many times you can't even go backward...you are just STUCK in your own misery.

Fortunately, it's not hard to move to the firmer sand...pray and ask God to draw you closer to him. Ask him to help you build your faith in him. When you reach out to God, he WILL reach back and bless you with his strength and peace!

Don't get bogged down in the loose sand of life! Move your buggy to firmer ground and enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment