My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Blind spots...


This week's Bible verse:
"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord." -- Psalm 89:15

It came out of nowhere...As I moved to change lanes on the busy, sunny highway, a horn blew loudly and warned me to get back. There is was, a little red sports car I didn't see before! I had looked in my rear view mirror and in my side mirror and thought it was safe to get over. I didn't see it! That little car seemed to appear out of thin air. My heart pounded as I realized that I was just saved from a near crash. I thanked God for that horn blast and realized I was just saved from...the blind spot.

Even when we look and think we are safe, we all have a blind spot or two...things about ourselves that we just don't see at first glance. Stubborness...pride...vanity...greed...the need to please...the need to be right...the need to be needed...Those are all things that are hard for us to see about ourselves. We are often blind to our own downfalls.

Have you ever noticed that at night on the road, blind spots don't trip us up as often? Headlights make it easier to see what is beside us and behind us, as well as what is coming toward us. Tail lights and our own headlights make it easier to see what is in front of us. The key word here is LIGHTS. In order to see the danger around us, we need to see...we need light.

Jesus said in John 8:12, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life."

In John 9 is the story of a blind man who Jesus made see. In this chapter we also read about the Pharisees who refused to "see the light" in this man's miracle, and used it to try to condemn Jesus. They were more blind than the man born blind.

I don't want to blind...and I want to be aware of my blind spots. I want to live my life safe from the dangers that occur in the dark. I need Jesus in my life because he IS the light of the world! If more of us believed in him and followed him, maybe there wouldn't be so much darkness in this world!


No comments:

Post a Comment