My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, September 28, 2012

Hope for grinchy hearts....


This week's Bible verse:
"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord." Psalm 89:15

Ok, I know it's not Christmastime yet, but I'm going to talk about the Grinch this morning. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for that infamous character. He started out SO bad...but when the joy of Christmas invaded his heart, that heart grew three sizes that day. I know, I know...it's just a silly Dr. Seuss cartoon, but it has always given me hope that people CAN change.

I love the idea that I am changing...being transformed into the image of Christ.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will." -- Romans 12:2

"and we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the spirit." -- 2 Corinthians 3:18

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come. The old has gone and the new is here!" -- 2 Corinthians 5:17

How can I make such a claim...that I am being transformed into the image of Christ? It sounds almost sacriligious, doesn't it? But, I'm here to tell you, I am not the same person I was ten years ago. Oh, I have always had a kind heart, and I have always been the kind of person people come talk to. But...there is something different in the way I am able to forgive, love the unlovable (well...most of them anyway) and get through things that I just can't understand how I do.

Lately, I have been feeling the change from being the young, searching, naive woman to the older, wiser mentor type. While this has been a little bruising to my ego to think that I have made that change (WHEN did it happen????) It has had me thinking...WHAT is different about me? Why IS it easier for me to forgive and move on? The only thing I can think of is God and my relationship with Jesus Christ. It is not just my regular involvement with my church...it is the fact that I have been SEARCHING for God and a personal relationship with him. I have reached out and opened my heart to his word, his teachings and I believe in my heart that the Holy Spirit has taken up residence in my heart. Again, that sounds conceited and very religious...I just know that's the way it is.

I don't believe that my heart was ever as small as the Grinch's...but I know it is capable of holding and giving much more love now than it used to. I have faith that THAT is God working in my heart. He has made me stronger, more forgiving, and creates a path for me to follow.

There is much ugliness in this world...there are a LOT of Grinches out there who seem to want to ruin everything good and pure in this world. I HAVE to have faith that it is possible for change to happen in the hearts of the wicked. My heart has grown...perhaps there is hope for your grinchy heart as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment