My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, September 17, 2012

Telling my Jesus story...


"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace." -- Acts 20:24

Ok, for some of you, this posting today is going to be a little "Jesus-y." But I have to write what is in my heart today. I have many friends of many different creeds and religions. While I respect them and their beliefs, I know how my life is made more liveable because I have Jesus in my life.

While I was raised a Christian with a strong family foundation, there have been times in my life I was far from Christ. I chose my own way...I believed I knew what was best for me, even though I knew that it was contrary to what God and my Christian upbringing wanted for me. I chased a dream I had for a different life...one that looked glamorous and way more fun. While I knew what I was doing was "wrong," I ignored that little voice inside my head and went right on with what I was doing...where I was going. Most people around me didn't know where I was headed. I was good at hiding it. But I was tired of being "the good girl" and the one who acted responsibly...the one who followed the rules and did things for others. I wanted something good for myself! And I was getting it...or so I thought.

Deep inside I knew that running from God's path and Christ's teachings was not was best for me. The consequences of my actions started smacking me in the face and I saw a preview of what my life would be life if I continued down the path I was heading. But...I kept running. I went to church, but I wasn't worshiping God...I was daydreaming of that other life I would have...someday.

One day, I had a little vision as I was driving down the road. My daydream of the perfect "other life" was interrupted by a vision of the people around me I would be hurting if I left the life I HAD. That little voice inside me started getting a little louder. I fought it, but ultimately, I gave in. I cried out to God to forgive me. I didn't want to hurt those around me and I didn't want to hurt myself. I then started dealing with feelings of guilt over things I had done and things I had almost done. The guilt ate me alive. That little voice came back to me and told me that Jesus paid the price for my sin. I could move on and let go of the guilt because he took it from me.

It was then that I started searching for God again. I started reading my Bible and writing in a journal and talking with trusted friends. I learned to trust Jesus and thank him for taking my sin away. I needed a Savior, I needed God. I found the hope I lost and my eyes and my heart was opened to another way of life that was on God's path for me...not my own! I got my life back because of God's grace and forgiveness. It taught me how to give grace and forgiveness to others in my own life.

Jesus is the reason I am where I am today. Had I not heard that little voice inside me, listened to it and realized it was God speaking his forgiveness to me...I might not be here today. That is why I write these blog posts and share God's good news with people...it saved my life and it can save yours too!

1 comment: