My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, October 1, 2012

The eyes and mind of Christ...


This week's memory verse:
"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." -- Isaiah 43:19

He sat there alone on the picnic bench, staring off into space. His scruffy beard, torn t-shirt, missing teeth and disheveled hair made him a little scary to approach. My friend walked up to him and began talking. I admired my friend's bravery, so I joined them. He is a broken man. He has lost a lot in the past year...his wife, his health, his son lost his house in a fire...he was lonely and sad and...just plain lost. He told us his story, repeating a great amount of it over and over. He apologized to us for staring off into space sometimes. Even though he was so sad, he needed someone to tell his story to. He needed to connect with someone. By the time he ate and hopped back on his bike to go back to his home, he left with a smile on his face. His problems were not solved...his happiness was not restored, but he talked and connected with people who cared.

This experience has stuck with me over the weekend. Just by looking at this man, he looked a little scary...his appearance and a scowl on his face...It would have been easy to pass by this man, if nothing else but for my own safety. This was such a good reminder to me that I need to have the mind and eyes of Christ. Sitting with this man, my friend and I really couldn't say anything to comfort him, but we listened. We helped to provide him a meal, which he might not have taken the time to do for himself.

Christ was from God...he should have had servants all around him, serving and catering to his every need. But, he chose to be a servant himself. He chose to touch the unclean. He chose to minister to the lost...THAT was his mission, to seek and save the lost. And that is what he wants from his followers as well...he wants us to seek out the lost and help them find Him so he can save them.

I did nothing to save this sad and lost man on the picnic bench. But, I did not overlook him...I did not pass him by. I took a chance to see him through Christ's eyes and saw a lonely man who just needed to tell his story. He may tell me the same story the next time I see him...but I will listen. I will pray for him each day. God will do the rest through the grace of Christ.

I thank God for this experience. My heart was broken for what breaks his. My mind was opened to the mind of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment