My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The encourager!


This week's memory verse:
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." --Galatians 6:9

Have you every played that game...if you could have one superpower, what would it be? I'm not sure what superpower I want, but I know what I want my name to be..."The Encourager!" There she goes! More bubbly than a shook-up soda bottle...Able to lift the spirits of 10 people with a single word...Able to put a smile on even the grumpiest face...It's a cheerleader! It's a motivator! It's THE ENCOURAGER!

Now THAT's my idea of the perfect superhero! I mean, the world is full of grumpy, disgruntled, disappointed and unhappy people. What we need is more people to step into the nearest phone booth (wait...what's a phone booth???) and put on the smiling face and cheery disposition of the Encourager!

But seriously, I love making people feel better about themselves and about their situation. I love playing "devil's advocate" and encouraging others to think about the other person's point of view. I love cheering someone up with a smile or a silly song. I know I can be so nice I annoy people...but I LOVE being "The Encourager!" But...I don't want to steal all the glory for myself. There is a LOT of encouraging to be done, even by a person like me with superhero-type encouraging strength! You too can join the team and be an encourager! Send a friend a text just to say you are thinking of them and you care. See someone frowning and sad, at least give them a nod and a smile. Give someone you meet a genuine compliment. Never tire of this good work! God smiles on those who make others smile and feel better about themselves!

I'm off now to find someone else who needs encouragement today...You might not see it happening, but I am there! Disguised as a mild-mannered librarian, I appear out of nowhere...Armed with a smile and a glass half full!

No comments:

Post a Comment