My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, October 8, 2012

Filled to the measure!


A Bible verse for today:
"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." -- Ephesians 3:14-19

We have all been told that we need to "take care of ourselves." When I leave someone who has been injured or sick, I often find myself saying "Take care!" It is a common phrase, meant to be caring and loving. But I had a friend tell me one time that he didn't like that phrase, because it implied that HE had to take care of himself, instead of someone coming to take care of him. He thought, if I could TAKE CARE of myself, I wouldn't be sick! I had never thought about my caring phrase in that manner. I now try to think before I speak, and ask what I can do for that person to care for them, instead of leaving it all up to them.

Putting others first...putting others before my own needs is sometimes hard, and can be a little overwhelming sometimes. I find myself doing things for so many people that I run out of time to "take care" of myself. But, I have also found that when I am in the habit of putting others first, God takes care of me by placing people in my life who want to "take care" of me! It is in THOSE times that I really experience being "filled to the measure of the fullness of God."

This past weekend was one of THOSE times! After a difficult and busy week, I was looking forward to a trip to Amish Country with some dear friends, and that trip met all my expectations and then some! We talked, we laughed (A LOT) and had serious moments as well. We helped each other deal some issues...we were THERE for each other! I felt so ALIVE and so tired at the same time when our adventure was over! Those friends were the support and strength I needed this week. They were GOD in my life! My cup runneth over!

When I think there is not enough of me to go around...when I think that I cannot give advice or support to one more person because it is weighing so heavily on my heart...when I am so tired from running from place to place all week long...I see and experience God placing others in my life to "take care" of me and I am filled to the measure! It is true...when we die to ourselves and our own selfish needs...God takes care of us and our needs through the gift of the others in our lives!

Thank you, Lord for my friends! They fill my cup to the brim!

No comments:

Post a Comment