My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, October 15, 2012

Spiritual fervor produces hope in a depressing world


This week's memory verse:
"My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises." Psalm 119:148

I have been reading some of the works of James Joyce recently...I'm not sure why. It is pretty depressing stuff most of the time. And looking at the life of Mr. Joyce, one can see that his life was rather depressing stuff as well. It seems that most great writers came from rough, depressing backgrounds, struggling from depression and multiple mental issues.

Why wouldn't one be depressed and mentally unstable living in this world? Life is hard and filled with trials, troubles, and afflictions. It is hard to stay hopeful sometimes...well, most of the time, really. So, how DO we stay hopeful?

I have been asked how I remain "happy" in my life. I have written on this fact many times, and have studied the facts of my life often. I really have no explanation for my cheerful dispostion, except for my faith in God and his promises.

Look at Romans 12:11-12 "Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

Spitual fervor - I think that's what I have...an intense feeling of God's spirit inside me. Wow---That sounded pretty heavy didn't it? But that's it! Believing in God and his promises is what fills my heart with hope. That hope burns inside of me and makes me confident of the end of the story. God wins in the end...which means I win in the end. I will spend eternity in heaven with him. THAT makes me joyful and that joy makes me eager and interested in pursuing Christ even more. It also allows me to be patient in affliction. I have troubles, just like anyone else. But that hope that is burning inside me helps me to believe that my troubles are temporary and my suffering is momentary, especially when compared to ETERNITY with Jesus!

When I read more stories by James Joyce, or when I turn on the TV to see the suffering of others in real life and in the fictional lives of TV characters, I wonder why others can't see what is right in front of their faces...God's promise of hope and help through the troubles of this life. So much time and effort is wasted in suffering. Yes, life is hard, but I will use my "spiritul fervor" that produces hope in my heart and patience in affliction over the suffering this world brings any day of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment