My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, October 5, 2012

Demolishing my bad attitude!


This week's memory verse:
"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43:19

Bad attitudes...they are every where, even in my own head! This had been a hard week, with family disappointments, the stress of too much on my plate and worry. Those things seem to fill my mind and take up so much room, there's not much left for good thoughts and positive attitudes. So, I find myself grumbling, cursing more then usual, venting to anyone who will listen. Not some of my proudest moments!

I open my Bible this morning to read 2 Corinthians 10:5. "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

I had to read that a few times to understand it...but then I got it! I need to demolish my bad attutude and take my negative thoughts captive! And while this seems impossible for me, nothing is impossible for God. What I need to remember though, is that God won't take my thoughts captive without my effort to do so as well. Good thoughts just don't happen...I have to think them and study them and give God permission to demolish them! I can pray that God will take away my bad attutude, but I have some responsibility as well. I need to replace those bad thoughts with good. How do I do that? I need to focus on the good stuff!

Philippians 4:8-9 says, "Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice, and the God of peace will be with you."

There is a lot of important stuff packed in those verses! I need to concentrate on the good...I may need to go looking for it, but there IS good in my life. I need to think about THOSE things. But I'm not done just by thinking about them. No, I need to put the good thoughts into PRACTICE. Do good for others...give a kind word or a hug...help someone who needs help...smile instead of frown...sing instead of grumble. Putting the good into practice will allow God to have room to work in my heart because doing good helps to demolish the bad.

Just by thinking about that possibility, I feel better! Just by writing these words, I feel my bad attutude slipping away! Have the bad things in my life disappeared just because of this? No. They are still there. But, my attitude about them is getting better. I can't change those things, but I CAN change my attitude about them. With God's help, I CAN demolish my bad attitude today! It's Friday and I feel a smile coming on! I feel a song in my heart! I plan to make people smile today!

Do you have some bad attitudes to demolish or take captive today? It's a new day and God can help you make the switch from grumbling venter into a smiling helper!

Happy Friday Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment