My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, October 4, 2012

This week's bible verse:
"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." -- Isaiah 43:19

As a librarian in a public library, I have a responsibility to provide materials about all sides of an issue, no matter how I might personally feel about the issue. I highly value this job and it is why public libraries are essential in every community. It is a place to go to read and learn about all sides of an issue so you can make up your own mind in an educated manner.

Sometimes learning about all sides is hard. Yesterday I was reviewing a book that called for the end of faith and religion of all types. The author's point is that many, many acts of terror, hate and bigotry have occured over the centuries and today in the name of religion, and that faith in any "god" will be the end of mankind. On Amazon.com over 991 people had reviewed this book and made thier very personal feelings known to anyone who wants to read them. Many of those people stated how they had been hurt by churches or by relgious people and that believing that YOUR religion is the only "right" way to live causes hate, violence and acts of terror.

While I cannot argue that fact, and I too get angry at people of all religions who hate and retreat to violence because of that hate, I do NOT believe that faith will be the end of mankind. On the contrary. I believe that faith is the only way mankind will be saved from itself. One reviewer of that book asks why people are so gullible and keep going back to religion and the idea of God...I believe that our creator MADE us to want and search for him! Why else would the idea of God and the other religions have lasted since the beginning of time? Why would Christianity have lasted over two thousand years? If it were all wrong, wouldn't people have wisened up to that fact by now? Wouldn't we have educated ourselves out of the need for God if he didn't exist?

I have faith because there is an ingrained need inside of me to believe! I am glad that I work in a public library that allows me to know about what others think and believe. There have always been those who question God. It makes me even more sure that God is out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment