My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Finding time to seek God's face...

This week's memory verse:
"Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always." -- Psalm 105:4

One of my favorite things to do in the whole world is have dinner or lunch with a friend, especially when there is plenty of time and we are not rushed. Of course, the eating part is good, but my favorite part is sitting across from someone I care about and sharing our hopes, struggles, secrets...laughter. There can never be enough laughter! There have been several times when a friend and I have seen the looks from the wait-staff and scooted out the door as they were ready to close. One time, a friend I and stood out in the parking lot talking long after all the staff left that parking lot! Yes, I love to talk, but it is that sharing time that I treasure so much. When you spend time with someone you care about, you see them for who they really are and you are able to listen and help them with their issues as much as they do the same for you.

God wants to do the same with us! You might say, "Oh, I don't have time to do Bible study and have quality quiet time with God. It sounds like a good idea, but there are not enough hours in the day. Where do I find the time?" Well...we tend to make time for the things we care about the most, like having dinner with a friend. Doesn't God deserve at least the same consideration? Colossians 4:2 says, "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."

Here's another idea...if you don't have extra time to sit down and talk with God (you should REALLY try...there are so many benefits!) at least try slowing down during your busy day and take a look for God in the small mundane things in your daily life. He is there!

How about during your commute to work? Look at the beauty of the fall leaves. Take a minute and say "Wow God! Your mighty hand is so creative! Thank you for the beauty before me!"

Or, take a minute during your lunch to talk to God. Just take a moment to thank Him for your blessings and ask Him to guide you through the rest of your day.

God doesn't care WHERE you are when you talk to him...just talk to him! This might sound sacrilegious so some, but talk to him when you go to the bathroom. I know, sounds weird doesn't it? But everyone has to go sometime, and you can't take your work in there with you...well you SHOULDN'T take your work in there with you. Just take a moment in that quiet time to tell God what's going on with your day, good and bad.

Seek his face...everywhere seek his face! No, we don't SEE God's face, but when we LOOK for him, we will find him. He is there already...he just wants to spend some time with us. He waits for us to come to him.

Don't know what to say? Don't know what to ask for? Are you hurting so bad you can't put it into words? If you seek God and ask him to come to you, he will, even when you don't know what to say. Romans 8:26-27 says, "In the same way the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God's people in accordance with the will of God."

I know that sounds a little strange...that the Spirit groans for us and God understands...but I find so much comfort in that. Even when I don't know what to pray for, God works and knows what is in my heart.

It's kind of like when I'm sitting across from my friend at dinner and she knows exactly what I needed to hear at that moment. She knows me so well, she says just what I needed to hear. OR...maybe God is working THROUGH her and giving her the words I needed to hear. I don't know if that's the way it works or not, but I love the thought of that! I know for sure that GOD knows me that well.

I am thankful for dinners with close friends, and finding "God time" during my busy day! I hope you look for ways to talk to God today and seek God's face in all you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment