My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, October 29, 2012

Slow down and see the big picture....

This week's memory verse:
"'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.'"

I love when multiple things come together! This morning, as I was reading my Bible study about the familiar story of Mary and Martha, I thought how this lesson fits in with the "Jesus glasses" I wrote about last week, AND also fits in well with my pastor's new sermon series about balance. It's all about missing the bigger picture. Not only to do I love when things come together, but I REALLY love it when I actually GET the message!

I have always related with Martha in this story. I am one who worries about the work around me. I think it comes from growing up on a farm. There was ALWAYS work to be done. To this day, when I am feeling lazy on some morning, I feel my dad in the back of my head telling me to get up and get moving! There's work to be done! But...sometimes we get so caught up in the work that we MISS what is really going on around us.

Jesus tells Martha that really only one thing is needed...to spend time and learn from him. I think, but wait, if Martha hadn't spent so much time doing what she did, who would have fixed dinner for her guests? Isn't hospitality a very important gift and needed to make guests feel welcome and taken care of? Yes, those things are important, but when you become so wrapped up in the details, and feeling bad about how you are the only one doing those details, you become resentful and your eyes are dimmed to the BIG PICTURE.

In order to put on the "Jesus glasses" and see people as Jesus sees them, AND learn the important lessons that Jesus wants to teach you, you have to be focused on something other than yourself.

Yes, Martha needed to be concerned with the dinner details, but perhaps she could have slowed down and listened a little more as she prepared. Perhaps she needed to slow down and connect with the other people in the house at the time.

Jesus said that Mary chose better...she chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to his teaching. He said that what Mary learned would not be taken away from her.

I think it's all about balance. When our lives are balanced with work and rest, and spending time with Jesus, we will find ourselves learning things that can't be taken away from us. When our lives are balanced, our eyes can focus on something other than ourselves and we remember to take time to put on those "Jesus glasses" and see the big picture.

Jesus, my life tends to get way too busy! I am over scheduled, overworked, and overextended. When I get like this, it is harded for me to spend time with you. Slow me down today and help me sit at your feet for a little bit. The work will wait...Help me to see your big picture today!

No comments:

Post a Comment