My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, October 12, 2012

Fully Rely on God's Strength

This week's memory verse:
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Those of you that know me well know that I love frogs. My house and my beloved sun porch is covered with them. People get me frog related knick knacks, pictures, stuffed animals, magnets, etc. all the time and I love them all! Those of you that know me also know where my obsession with frogs came from.

About 11 years ago, a wise, older friend of mine complimented me on my dangling frog earrings. (They were handpainted frogs that I got in Seattle on one of my favorite vacations ever!) She then explained to me that FROG stands for Fully Rely On God. I had not heard that before, and from that moment on, that statement became my favorite saying and my mantra. That statement and the reminder from all the frog stuff in my life has gotten me through many a difficult situation. It also gives me strength when I am at my weakest.

In Psalm 18:1-6 David is troubled and cries out to God. Why does he do this? Why cry out for help from someone who you can't see, you can't have a conversation with? Because David had experienced over and over again the help and strength that comes from God when he asked for it. He says that God is his rock, his strength. Over time, he came to trust God was there and relied on that trust again and again.

When we put our trust in other people...in other flawed human beings...we ARE GOING TO GET LET DOWN! No matter how good, wise, trust-worthy and wonderful our friends seem, there are times when they are going to disappoint us. THAT is a life-fact! So what are we to do?

I believe we were created to have a need for inner strength that can only come from God...NONE of us are strong enough to get through this life alone. God hears our cries for help...our cries of frustration and fear...our cries of lonliness...our cries of hurt feelings and broken hearts...He may not answer those cries with words, but when you believe in your heart that God does hear you and is there, your heart and mind are strengthened by GOD'S strength and you CAN get through whatever you are going through.

How do I know this? I have experienced it time and time again! I pass my frog obsession on to you...keep a picture of a frog in your mind when things are tough. It might seem silly, but it might also remind you that if you FULLY rely on God's strength instead of your own, you will find the strength you need. It is God's gift to you!

Who doesn't smile when they see Kermit???

Have a great weekend my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment