My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Time marches on...


This week's memory verse:
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

"Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it is marchin' across your face," -- Truvy in "Steel Magnolias"

Isn't that the truth? Time does march on, and we are never ready for it to move forward, especially across our face!

Psalm 90:12 says we are to number our days so we may be given a heart of wisdom. Paying attention to the fact that time is fleeting and we have no idea how many days we have on this earth is an important step in become a muture adult. When we are young, we think we have PLENTY of time to do the things we want and to learn to become the people we want. As we become older, as we see the evidence of time marching across our face, we learn that time is not something to be wasted...it can get away from us quickly and if we are not careful, we look back and realize how much time we wasted on silly, selfish, pointless things.

Wrinkles aside, as the lines from the old Steve Miller Band song goes, "Time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin into the future." What do you spend your time doing? Think about your days and weeks and make some mental notes of what tasks and events and commitments are written across your calendar. The blocks in my calendar are pretty full these days, and when I look back on the weeks past, I wonder about the importance of some of those things...was my busyness really worth it?

Today, I pray for the ability to number my days...to realize that time IS fleeting and I can't get back the moments I lost to my busy schedule. I ask God to help me find the wisdom to discern the importance of the things on my calendar and choose the ones that make the biggest difference to my family and my community and let some of the less important stuff slip away. I also ask God to help me find time for myself on that calendar as well...I believe God wants us to be reasonably happy and extremely healthy in our earthly lives. If my calendar is so full of obligations that there is no time for healthy activities and things I enjoy, I will find myself sick, tired and unfullfilled. All that is a lot to ask...more than I have been able to do for myself, as you can see if you look at my calendar (and my face)! But, with this prayer, I am asking God to help me, and I know that anything is possible for God, even a more balanced sense of time for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment