My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, December 14, 2012

"Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket..."

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them. Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun." -- Psalm 19:1-4

This morning I am very thankful I listened to that little voice that kept whispering to me to go out and look at the stars. I am not a huge star gazer and I don't know a whole lot about astromomy...I can find the big and little dippers when looking at the stars at night, but that's about it.

It was very cold, but I wrapped up in my blanket and headed out into the early morning. I leaned back on my frosty car and stared up at the stars. I had no idea which direction to focus upon, so I just took in as much as I could. I did find the Big Dipper...then the Little Dipper. Then...there is was...a flash across the sky! A falling star! Well...actually it was part of the the Geminid Meteor Shower. As my eyes got accustomed to the darkness, I saw a couple more! I stayed out for about 35 minutes. I read later that to really have gotten a show, I should have stayed out for at least an hour...but, my shivering body had had enough!
 
By now, you know me well enough that I couldn't let this experience pass without writing about it! All I could think about was the expanse of the stars and heavens and how small I felt in comparison. I am but a speck in the vast universe that God created. But...even though I am but a speck, I know in my heart I am just as important in the eyes of God as any other piece of God's creation.

My problems, pain, fear and disappointments seem so large to me. They become all I can think about...they overwhlem me at times. But, when I stop and remember to give all those huge things to God, I feel a relief. God is SO huge and SO powerful...my issues are but a speck to him. I picture him taking my fears and flicking them away with his fingers. They are THAT insignificant to him. But, I even though I too am small, I am his child. He loves me and wants to flick away all my problems.

"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? -- Romans 8:31

Looking at millions of stars, seeing the amazing beauty of the heavens, and being amazed by the blaze of a meteor falling across the sky was a good reminder to me of God's power and his love for little ol' me!

The skies do proclaim the work of His hands! The stars silently communicated to me this morning and revealed this knowledge to me.  Thank you Lord, for showing me just a bit of your glory today! Help me to keep that falling star feeling in my pocket all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment