My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

When a friend is hurting, we hurt too...

"Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62:8

My tender heart aches this morning. When a friend calls in panic and fear and asks me to pray, I drop whatever I am doing and pray. But that phone call sticks with me. Her tears become my tears, my heart hurts for her.

But then I remember my words to her and say them to myself. Stay calm, know that God is with you and he will take care of you, no matter what. And he will take care of her and her problems as well.

It is so hard to remember that when you are in a place of fear and panic. I know, I have been there too.

Your mind can play tricks on you when you are under stress and have had no sleep for the worry that is in your heart. You forget the things that sustain you. You forget and are only left with the fear and uncertainty.

But, my friend was wise enough to know she needed someone to pray FOR her. God gave her a moment of clarity that allowed her to reach out to someone else. So many of us retreat into ourselves when we are afraid and hurting. We don't want the world to know how we are hurting. But, I believe THAT is exactly the time we need strong friends around us who can remain calm and pray.

So today, as my friend is worried, tired, afraid and sick...I remain strong and reach out to God on her behalf. He has shown me over and over how he is always with me...that when I pour my heart out to him, he hears and will comfort me and bring me a peace that allows me to get through whatever comes my way. That has allowed me to learn to TRUST God and HOPE in him in my own life. He placed friends in my path who have blessed me in so many ways. My way to give back is to lean on that trust and hope for them when they can't.

When a friend is hurting, we hurt too. Don't you think God put others in our lives for just that reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment