My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Faith and Politics...a conversation


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." -- Micah 6:8

I have a group of friends, my church small group, and we have been having a discussion about faith and politics. We were asked a few questions to ponder on between now and the next time we meet. I have been thinking about these questions and am trying to formulate my thoughts.

What is the purpose of the church in our society?

What is the purpose of government in our society?

How do we keep politics from shaping or faith?

These are tough questions, right? Requires a lot of thought...at least it does for me. I could just spout off what I have always been taught about church and government and be done with it. But, I don't want to just spout off. I want to really think about this, and get at the root of the questions. While I am thinking and studying and asking God to help me understand, I will try to keep the verse above first and foremost in my heart and mind...

God has shown us what is good. What does he want us to do? Act justly. In my mind that means we are to do what is right when no one is watching, even when it takes more time, even when it costs more money, purely because it is the right thing to do. Love mercy. God had mercy on us, we should show mercy to the people in our lives as well. Walk humbly with our God. Absolutely. Knowing that God is in control and I am not, and walking with him each step I take, each day, each moment, each breath. Those three things, act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God, should guide every thing I do and every thought I have. That being said, I am now ready to contemplate the questions above. If you are ready to contemplate them with me, please share your thoughts.

I am interested in your thoughts, my friends. If you would like to respond, you can do so through the blog, or on the Facebook posting of the blog. (I believe you have to have a google account to post to the blog.) I am just interested in an open, friendly discussion. I know I have many friends from various faiths and backgrounds that read my blog and I am interested in your thoughts. Please remember to keep your comments friendly!

Father God, I believe you have given us free will and keen minds for a reason. It is ok for us to ponder and study and look to you for ways to understand the world around us, including our churches and the government that protects us. I ask that today, you will help me and my friends have an open discussion that will lead to postive and bridge building conversations that will help us all better understand what your will for us might be. I thank you, God, for allowing me to be able to express my faith and love for you in a public manner. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. As Christians we must minister to all and everyone who is in need.no matter what their beliefs or life styles. We cannot however compell others to do the same. God gave us the free agency to choose. Jesus Christ only commandment to us was "Love One Another" We cannot transfer that free agency to someone else through government mandates. Just my opinion
    Doug Kreis
    Zanesville

    ReplyDelete