My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Walk the Talk...


This week's Bible verse:

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:8


It's a phrase we've heard before...we need to walk to talk. If you want the rewards, then you have to do more than talk. It's one thing to SAY you are a Christian...How are you living? Are you being Christ's hands and feet on earth? Or, are you all talk?


"If anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." - Matthew 10:42


What the heck does a cup of water have to do with my life??? It's all about WHAT you are doing with your life that matters. It's about putting your own needs, wants, desires and feelings aside to show LOVE to others around you.


Have you ever said, "I hate that guy! He makes me so mad!" What one of us hasn't said something like that at some point, right? Well, according to 1 John 3:15, to hate someone is the same as being a murderer, and murderers don't get eternal life (without forgiveness)...I am sure you don't consider yourself a murderer, but if you hate, or act in a hateful manner, you might as well be in God's eyes. WOW! It looks like I have some work to do! How about you?


Those verses go on to say that we should be willing to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. I don't think this is only speaking about our physical lives...but also our personal wants and desires as well. Go back to the person you said you hated... What about that person don't you like? Do they do something you don't like? Act in a way that you don't like? Even if they ARE acting in a terrible way...it seems it's all about what YOU don't like, right?


If we are truly followers of Christ, then there are 2 things we are told to do...BELIEVE in Christ (I think you have that one) and love each other. Do you think the OTHER there means only the lovable? I don't think so! Now, I know there are those in this world that are HARD to love! No one said this was going to be easy...but we need to TREAT those people with love as well. That doesn't mean we have to hug everyone, or become close friends with them. But, it does mean we should never say we HATE someone, talk bad about them behind their backs, or treat them unkindly. Treat EVERYONE you come in contact with with kindness. If someone needs something that you have the means to help them with...HELP them, even if you don't WANT TO.


1John 3:19 says that if we do this...believe in Christ AND treat EVERYONE with love and kindness...then we can quiet our minds during those moments of self-doubt and self-criticism...we are doing what Christ taught us to do, so we are OK!Search your heart...is there someone(s) in your life you need to stop "hating"...someone you need to treat kinder...even if you don't want to? Have you seen someone in need, knew you COULD help, but you chose not to? What can you do TODAY to make those things right with God? If you call yourself a Christian, ya gotta walk the talk! I know I've got some work to do with my own walk...I need to work on making a few things right. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. You are so right Lin and we all have thing we need to change and make better with God. I so enjoy these few quiet moments to read your words. These are moments I set aside today, to be quiet and think about life and how we can live ours better to please God.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I am honored that people are reading, enjoying and getting something out of this. I have the habit now of spending an hour or so almost everyday in a quiet time...reading, praying and contemplating how to be the person God wants me to be. It has blessed me in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete