My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happiness is...paying attention...

"...weeping may stay for the night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning." (Psalm 30:5)

It is very easy to get so wrapped up in our own daily struggles that we miss important events and clues around us that could have amazing impact in our lives. If we just paid attention more often, we would see people trying to help us and ways we can help others. And the affects of this paying attention can help us work our way out of our own depression. Did you ever think that THIS is the way God works in our lives? Not by miracles and sending angels, but through the people in our lives?

I have heard them called "Godincidents" instead of coincidence.  These have happened in my life many times...probably more have happened that I was not "awake" enough to see. I've been in the right place at the right time when someone needed to talk...I got a check in the mail for the EXACT amount that I needed to pay a bill the next day...a friend recommends a book and when I begin reading it, it says EXACTLY what I needed to hear to pull me out of the funk I was in...

I do believe God still does miracles today, but I think he works through people as well. Have you ever felt "nudged" to go back and do something, or felt the need to go to the store and seen a long time friend while there? You may think it sounds "hoaky" but I believe there are times when we ARE nudged to do things that can lead to "little miracles." But, the key is to pay attention. I have ignored those nudges often too, and later thought I should have done whatever it was.

If we pay attention to the clues around us, and that little voice in our heads...we will find ways of pulling ourselves out of our own funk and find the rejoicing that comes in the morning, as the Psalm above says. I know that has happened for me several times, especially lately.

Happy moments come when you appreciate the "Godincidents" that come into your life. Open your eyes today...who will cross paths with you that you can help or that will help you? Pay attention...let God work in your life. A happy moment may not be far away from you...even if you feel like you are in the pits of despair!

No comments:

Post a Comment