My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

We shouldn't be trying so hard...

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." -- Proverbs 4:23

Busy, busy, busy. Some of us race around each day, running from one event to the next, one sporting event to the next, one responsibility to the next. We try to squeeze in time to walk, spin, yoga, P90x...whatever the latest exercise craze is...we just have to TRY HARDER, right? We eat on the run, get less sleep and we are TIRED!

Whether you are young or older, do you feel pressure to just "try harder?" Do you feel you have to do more, and be more?

Living this lifestyle. (and I KNOW I am not the only one struggling with living this way) how are we to have the time to guard and protect our hearts?

Do you honestly think God wants us to be this hard on ourselves? Think about this for a moment...what do you HONESTLY believe God thinks and feels about you?

Many times, when our desires are not being met, we end up working harder, doing more. We think that by doing this we will MAKE our dreams and desires come true. Since it never works that way, I don't believe that's God plan and desire for us. God didn't place these desires in our hearts to torture us. If we learn to look at ourselves through God's eyes...if we learn to study who we are and the things we want, we can learn to see the secret of who we truly are, who we were created to be. 

What do you want for your life? Who do you want to be? When you understand that God MADE you the way you are for a reason, there is hope...hope to become the person you secretly long to be. 

Your heart holds those secrets. It is the source of all creativity, courage, conviction, faith, hope and of course, our love for ourselves and others. God knows this. God IS love, and God is at the heart of our secret longings because He IS our hearts. That is why it is important to guard our hearts...to protect our hearts and our desires ABOVE ALL ELSE. How do we do that? It's not easy. Life is tough and seems to want to tear us down and break our hearts. Reach out to God. He will help you learn to guard your heart so you can freely give love to others.

I am on a journey to figure out how to be less busy in my life and allow God to show me how to protect my heart. I am doing this so I can discover how to love who I am and help the desires of my heart to come true. If I figure out how to work WITH God to live my life, instead of going it alone, I won't have to try so hard and I will be free to be who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment