My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, January 30, 2012

What's in your hand?

"All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had." (Acts 4:32 NIV)

I have busy hands. In one day's time, my hand has held MANY things...a coffee mug, a steering wheel, a phone, keys, a computer mouse, books, a friend's hand, my debit card, a greasy hamburger, a dog leash, laundry, a dish towel, soap, my daughter's face as I kissed her before school. There's a wealth of things my hands have held in the last 24 hours...I have very wealthy hands!

I am the steward of all those things while they are in my hands, meaning it's my responsibility to take care of them while I have them. What I do with them while I am holding them in my hand is up to me. With some of those things, I serve myself...with some I serve others...some of them seem to have no purpose at all. But they all have been held by me...I have touched them.

The verse from Acts above and verses like it make me think of communes in the 60's. As John Lennon said, "Imagine no possessions." But we get ouchy when it comes to our stuff, don't we? It's MINE! Most of those things I held in my hand belonged to me...I don't want someone else holding my phone, my debit card, my car.

We are the wealthiest generation ever, and yet people are starving all over the world and right in our own back yards. What if we DID share more of our stuff??? I WANT to help others, but what can I do? I complain about not having enough money myself, and yet have no problem at all eating (and paying for!) fast food twice on a busy Sunday!!! There are MANY MANY ways I can get involved and help others and share my resources...I just have to act!

I think the key to the Acts verse above is the very first sentence..."all the believers were in one heart and mind..." Their hearts and minds were all focused on the same thing...Is it possible for a group of people from different walks of life, different socio-economic levels, with different likes and dislikes, to be focused enough to share their all their resources? I believe whole-heartedly YES...when God is the one they are focused on! Each person must have an open and like heart and mind.

How about you? How many things have you held in your hand in the last 24 hours? If you look to God, opening your mind and your heart to his wishes instead of your own, how might God want you to use those resources you held in your hands differently? You are the steward of them...could you be serving others more and yourself less? How might using those resources to help others benefit you in the long run?

What are you holding in your hand right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment