My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, January 20, 2012

Out live your life...

"David had done the will of God in his own generation..." -- Acts 13:36 NLT

This week I have been talking about understanding your own beauty...understanding who you are, how God made you who you are...learning to love yourself, understand yourself, and your own motivation will help you be a happier, healthier person.

But...then what???

What good is all this self-study and understanding when we keep it to ourselves? 

My First Place group recently did a "time study" where we recorded our activities every hour for a week. My goal for this exercise was to get us to see that even though we are VERY BUSY with school, work and other things,  we DO have enough time in our day for Bible study and exercise.

What I saw when I looked at the charts was a lot of time focused on myself...Facebook surfing...Words with Friends...TV time...listening or reading books... and even a bit of exercise fitted in there. While I do spend a lot of time at work and church, I spend a lot of time on MY wants and desires. I may not have time to be involved in community theater as I dream of, or go out with friend's enough, but I think I do spend a lot of "me time." Wasn't that the whole idea behind the "Happiness Project?" Find things you enjoy doing...do them and you'll be happy, right?

Then how come I still have times when I feel discontent and even boredom with my life? 

Do you want to be remembered when you are gone? We don't like to think about our own mortality, especially when we are young. But I think we all would like to think we made SOME kind of difference in this world. There just seems to be SO MUCH pain, suffering and need in our communities, our county and our world...we don't even know where to start.

You will be hearing more from me in the near future about "Outliving our lives..." but for now...if you are looking for ways to serve in your community...if you are looking for ways to get connected with people in need...if you are looking for ways to use your time, treasures and talents to help others...I applaud you and encourage you to get connected!

In Muskingum County Ohio, there is an organization that wants to help you do just that. Go to www.wesearveseo.org.
We Serve has lists of organizations in southeastern Ohio that need volunteers...they might be looking for you!!!

Know that you are beautiful and created in God's image and that God wants you to make a difference in the world he crested! 

No comments:

Post a Comment