My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, October 14, 2011

NTC Day 33 A needed message of encouragement...

My memory verse for this week:
"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." --  Galatians 5:25-26

NTC DAY 33
Luke 12 and Philippians 3-4

Well, God is at it again...giving me a message that I need in my heart and soul. I missed yesterday's readings as my routine was changed a bit and there was no time for reading, contemplating and writing about my thoughts. To tell you the truth, my day was off yesterday. I was so wrapped up in the busy-ness of the day and the worries that came with it, I spent very little time praying or even thinking about God. 

This morning, as I read the assigned chapters, it was EXACTLY what I needed to hear! Again, Jesus and Paul were talking about the same things, though in very different ways.  These chapters are filled with many lessons and familiar stories and verses, but today I heard just what I was supposed to hear...I was reminded of things I already know...I was encouraged and my anxiousness was eased.

Many lessons are in Luke 12, but what I heard was...do not worry. Right now I am worried about my back pain, my health and money. All three things I tend to worry about often...they all play a part in my future and the future of my family. But from the words of Jesus, who I love and trust, I am reminded that God doesn't want me to worry.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear." Luke 12:22

"For the pagan world runs after these things and your Father knows you need them. But seek his kingdom and these things will be given to you as well." Luke 12:30-31

Paul reminds me as well. 

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

I have that verse memorized...I know it and believe it...why oh why is it so easy to forget when I am in the middle of a trying situation?

Paul again reminds me of a verse I know and even have underlined in red in my Bible...

"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:12-13

What a better reminder than that, right???

Yes, I have responsibilities and yes I have health concerns, and yes, there doesn't seem to be enough money to go around, but...I need to be thankful for those things because when I get through them, I will be a stronger person. It might seem tough right now, but I WILL make it through and be better off in the long run. 

God doesn't want me to worry...He will take care of my needs. God wants me to learn to be content with what I have and to lean on him through prayer...he will give me what I need.

Oh, did I NEED to hear this message this morning! Thank you Lord! I can make it through whatever today brings! Your words were a comfort to me today. May your words bring comfort and peace to my friends as well, because they too may be worried. Take their worries and turn them into joys this morning as they read your word. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment