My sun porch

My sun porch

Saturday, October 15, 2011

NTC Day 34 I want to be a blooming fig tree!

My memory verse for this week:
"Since we live by the spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:25-26

NTC Day 34
Luke 13 and Colossians 1-2

I have come to another point where I question what I thought I knew...or perhaps what I want to believe. I see a contradiction, and since God doesn't make mistakes, it must be my understanding that is wrong.

The Great Commission: Jesus says in Matthew 28:19 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,"

Then, in Luke 13:24-30, Jesus says that few will be saved. "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to."

The image I have in my mind and in my heart of my loving and caring Father in Heaven, is a forgiving Father who wants ALL of his children...those he created...to be saved and be with him in heaven. That's why I tell people about my faith...I share with the hope that perhaps they will be touched or moved enough to WANT that saving, loving and forgiving relationship with God too...and repent and be saved. I want EVERYONE to be saved...I've been told it's never too late...even in your last dying moments on earth, if you reach out and ask Christ to be your savior, he will save you and you'll be with him forever in heaven. I don't like to think about hell...I don't like to think about Jesus saying "I don't know you. Away with you." to anyone. But, the reality is, God gave us a choice, and many do not choose Christ, and many will perish.

Jesus tells of a man who planted a fig tree and for three years it bears no fruit. The man wants to cut it down...it's not any good...but the caretaker says give it another year...he offered to water it and give it fertilizer... Hoping it would produce fruit. I want to be a fruit-bearing tree. I want to bloom where I am planted and produce the crop I was meant to produce. Jesus is that caretaker...he wants to give me another chance...he wants to give me fertilizer (food for me to grow-The Word) 

Paul's mission in life was to spread the gospel- tell people about the saving power of God's grace through Jesus. With Jesus' Great Commission and Paul's example, Surely that means we are follow in Paul's footsteps and share our faith with others. They still have the choice, but if we tell them the joy we find in that grace, then at least they will hear and be able to make that choice.

I may not understand God's purposes and his ways...I may think there on contradictions in what I read...but one day...I have faith and hope that one day all will be made clear to me. God's grace will save me from my confusion. I want to be a blooming fig tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment