My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, January 16, 2015

Dealing with Disappointment...get REappointed!

God will always give what is right to his people who cry to him night and day, and he will not be slow to answer them. (From Luke 18:7 - taken from Grace for the Moment Journal by Max Lucado)

God always does what is best when it is best. But, I don't want to wait! When something doesn't happen when I think it should, or at all, I get disappointed and discouraged.

This has been a constant struggle for me, especially in the last few years. I don't know why I have such a hard time getting over disappointments...I think it may be because I am a bit of a perfectionist, and I hate when things don't look or feel the way I want them to, even if a good deal of the situation is out of my control.

Joyce Meyer says in her book New Day, New You, "When you get disappointed, you can always make the decision to get reappointed!"

Wow! There's a LOT of meat in that simple sentence! To be appointed means designated, or decided on beforehand, and it also can mean equipped or furnished in a specified way or to a specified standard.  I am appointed as one of God's chosen people...I have chosen to believe in God and in his plan of my salvation through Christ Jesus. God equips me to live to his standard. When I am disappointed...when my attitude about my situation causes my disappointment...does that mean that I am not living up to God's standards because I am not trusting his timing?  The words make the decision are key to Joyce Meyer's statement. We CHOOSE how we react to situations that cause us to be disappointed. When we are disappointed, are we choosing not to act as one of God's chosen people?

God promises that he will always give us what is right (to HIS standards) and in HIS time. Most times, we have to WAIT for our prayers or cries to God to be answered. Sometimes, we are waiting a LONG time. Sometimes, we wait our whole lives and what we have been praying for never seems to happen. Does that mean God didn't hear us or didn't keep his promises to us? No. It's all about HIS timing and what HE deems right for us. So...we pray...and we wait.

What should our attitude be like while we wait? I want to wait with patience and continue to worship God. With the help of the Holy Spirit living inside me, I can make the decision to get reappointed instead of disappointed. It doesn't matter that I constantly feel not good enough...God will get me through those times of discouragement and lead me to what he wants for me...which may be different than what I want for me. I want to learn to be more patient with God and have faith while I am waiting!

Do you get disappointed? How to you deal with those feelings?

No comments:

Post a Comment